1st edition/Later printings?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Lorig137

1st edition/Later printings?

Post by Lorig137 »

Hi, I was wondering, if all info matches that I have a first edition copy of a book, except for the printer, does that mean I have a 1st ed,/2nd printing? For example: Rose Madder-DJ matches, the front and end papers are burnt orange, jacket price is correct, "First published in 1995 by Viking Penguin" and code "1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2" on copyright page are accurate, YET it says it was printed by R.R. Donnelly & Sons Company in lieu of Quebecor Printing Fairfield. Does this mean later printing or that Viking contracted out first printing run out to several printers due to high volume? Thank you so much for help!! :lol:
jhanic

Re: 1st edition/Later printings?

Post by jhanic »

It's probable that it was sub-contracted out to a different printer. As long as you have a "1" as the lowest number in the number line, it's a first printing. This is not uncommon--Eyes of the Dragon has three different printers involved in its first printing. Some completist collectors try to have a copy of each.

John
Lorig137

Post by Lorig137 »

Makes sense. I have a couple of other books that have 1 in number line, but different printer, so this actually helps me quite a bit. Thanks so much for responding!
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Wow I didn't realise that first printing could be done through multiple printers. Thanks John, more stuff to add to the list :roll:
jonp

Post by jonp »

Lorig137 wrote:Makes sense. I have a couple of other books that have 1 in number line, but different printer, so this actually helps me quite a bit. Thanks so much for responding!
Just out of interest which other books do you have with different printers. I know of three different printers for Black House also.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Many viking books can have two addresses, that's part of how you can help tell whether it's a 1st edition or not, but I think your question is really how many 1st editions have multiple publishers.

I don't' believe that info has been gathered in any one place - but if we can gather it up here that would be great and I'll be happy to annotate the 1st edition pages to reflect the different addresses.
jonp

Post by jonp »

TheCollector wrote:Many viking books can have two addresses, that's part of how you can help tell whether it's a 1st edition or not, but I think your question is really how many 1st editions have multiple publishers.

I don't' believe that info has been gathered in any one place - but if we can gather it up here that would be great and I'll be happy to annotate the 1st edition pages to reflect the different addresses.

Yes, I'm interested in printer variants of the first edition / 1st printings. The only variants I know of at the moment are 2 Rose Madder, 3 EOTD and 3 Black House. I will ask around just in case there are other variants in printers. In all likelihood there will be.
jonp

Post by jonp »

Unfortunately, I do not have all the US firsts, only about half, so I need help from some of you to compare with my list below and also to fill in some of the gaps. Where I have put below 'No Printers mentioned', these titles DO NOT need to be checked. Only the ones with notes or question marks.

Carrie - ?
'Salem's Lot - ?
The Shining - ?
The Stand (Edited) - No Printer Mentioned
Night Shift - ?
The Dead Zone - No Printer Mentioned
Firestarter - No Printer Mentioned
Danse Macabre - No Printer Mentioned
Cujo - ?
Different Seasons - No Printer Mentioned
Christine - No Printer Mentioned
Pet Sematary - No Printer Mentioned
The Talisman - R.R. Donnelley & Son Company, Harrisonburg, Virginia
Thinner - No Printer Mentioned
Skeleton Crew - No Printer Mentioned
The Bachman Books - No Printer Mentioned
It - R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia
Eyes of the Dragon - Arcata Graphics Fairfield, Pennsylvania OR Arcata Graphics Hawkins County, Tennessee OR Haddon Craftsmen, Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Misery - R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia OR Arcata Graphics, Fairfield, Pennsylvania
The Tommyknockers - No Printer Mentioned
The Dark Half - No Printer Mentioned
Four Past Midnight - No Printer Mentioned
The Stand (Uncut) - BVG code at the bottom of copyright page (this seems to be the normal)
Needful Things - R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia OR Arcata Graphics, Fairfield
Gerald's Game - R.R. Donnelley & Son Company OR Book Press, Inc
Dolores Claiborne - R.R. Donnelley & Son Company OR Arcata Graphics, Fairfield OR Arcata Graphics, Martinsburg
Nightmares And Dreamscapes - ?
Insomnia - Arcata Graphics Fairfield, Pennsylvania OR R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia
Rose Madder - Quebecor Printing, Fairfield OR R.R. Donnelley & Son Company
The Green Mile (Complete) - No Printer Mentioned
Desperation - Quebecor Printing, Fairfield
The Regulators - No Printer Mentioned
Bag of Bones - No Printer Mentioned
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - No Printer Mentioned
Hearts in Atlantis - No Printer Mentioned
On Writing - No Printer Mentioned
Dreamcatcher - No Printer Mentioned
Black House - Q, DC, DH codes on copyright page (assumed to be printers codes - Q could be Quebecor Printing Fairfield? DH - could be Donnelley Harrisonburg? - DC? ?)
Everything's Eventual - No Printer Mentioned
From a Buick 8 - No Printer Mentioned
Faithful - No Printer Mentioned
'Salem's Lot (Illustrated) - No Printer Mentioned
Cell - No Printer Mentioned
Lisey's Story - No Printer Mentioned
Blaze - No Printer Mentioned
Duma Key - No Printer Mentioned
Just After Sunset - No Printer Mentioned
Under the Dome - No Printer Mentioned
Full Dark No Stars - No Printer Mentioned
11/22/63 - No Printer Mentioned
Wind Through The Keyhole - ?
Doctor Sleep - No Printer Mentioned
Mr. Mercedes - No Printer Mentioned
Revival - No Printer Mentioned
Finders Keepers - ?

All DT books - No Printer Mentioned

It looks like there are more printers variants of US 1st editions than we thought. EOTD (3), Misery (2) , Needful Things (2), Gerald's Game (2), Dolores Claiborne (3), Insomnia (2), Rose Madder (2) and Black House (3) all have multiple printers variants.
Possible variants as printer listed on the copyright pages in The Talisman, It and Desperation. It seems to be if a copyright page lists a printer there is a variant - I know that's a big assumption.
adneycandy

Post by adneycandy »

but different printer, so this actually helps me quite a bit. Thanks so much for responding!