Unsure about copy of Salem's Lot on Craigslist

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
IamAries

Unsure about copy of Salem's Lot on Craigslist

Post by IamAries »

Hi. Someone on Craigslist has a first edition copy of Salem's lot for $200. There's something not right about it they claim its a first printing, I think they're wrong though, but I'm not too sure. It says it's a first edition on the copyright page it even has the code Q37 on page 439, but the dustjacket cover only says by the author of instead of a New Novel by the author of.

Does this mean it's a BCE or just a later printing?
allasorte

Re: Unsure about copy of Salem's Lot on Craigslist

Post by allasorte »

I'd ask them what the price is on the jacket. Maybe they replaced the jacket with a book club or newer one. If they live close to you and won't send you pictures, you can go view it yourself. That's what I would do.
IamAries

Post by IamAries »

Thanks for the quick response. the guy with the book just responded to my text saying that he thinks it's a BCE dust jacket, but the inside is a first edition. Do you think its a good price for 200? I'm pretty new to collecting King.
IamAries

Post by IamAries »

He said the price on the jacket was 17.95.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

IamAries wrote:He said the price on the jacket was 17.95.
That means the DJ at least is a reprint, and most of the value is in the DJ. It's NOT a good price for a reprint.
http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/1st/salemslot.html
IamAries

Post by IamAries »

Awesome, thank you, I Probably won't buy it then. If he lowers the price some I might consider it.
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

The older books, the jackets have more value then the book. I'd tell the seller this. If the book's block pages are clean, tight, no names etc, I'd tell him the jacket isn't appropriate for the first edition book. Therefore, would you take ???. It's up to you, but I'd figure out what I would pay and then ask for that. The worst question asked, is never asked. I honestly don't know what just the book is worth. Maybe 125? I'm sure someone here would have a better financial answer.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

allasorte wrote:The older books, the jackets have more value then the book. I'd tell the seller this. If the book's block pages are clean, tight, no names etc, I'd tell him the jacket isn't appropriate for the first edition book. Therefore, would you take ???. It's up to you, but I'd figure out what I would pay and then ask for that. The worst question asked, is never asked. I honestly don't know what just the book is worth. Maybe 125? I'm sure someone here would have a better financial answer.
I would just stay away, I mean up to 90% of this particular books value is in the DJ and you'd have an extremely hard time reselling it down the road.