Viking DT HB Series

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
GregH

Viking DT HB Series

Post by GregH »

I found 2 Viking DTIV Wizard and Glass HB at a used bookstore. I picked them both up but noticed some differences. One is a first edition first printing, has a price of $40 inside the dust jacket but has a remainder mark on the bottom. The second is a first edition, 3rd printing but has no price on the inside dust jacket. The UPC code is different size on the back of the dust jacket. Was the first printing the only one to have a price? Or does that even matter on the Viking books. I have seen some Viking DTI Gunslinger books without prices also. I was told it was worth a lot less without the price in the jacket. Also I am trying to find the Viking versions of The Drawing of the Three, and Wastlands in HB but they seem almost impossible to find.

Any info appreciated.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Viking DT HB Series

Post by TheCollector »

Usually no price on the Dustjacket indicates a Book Club book. BC books are normally worthless.

You're talking about the 2003 viking re-issues?

GregH

Post by GregH »

Yes, I am refering to the Viking 2003 re-issues. I did not think they had a book club edition of these. That is what puzzles me. Usually it will say book club edition inside the cover, but this does not. :? I have 1 DTI, and 1 DTIV with no price.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Very often the book club edtions don't have "Book Club Edition" printed on the dust jacket; they just don't have a price. I've never seen (but I must admit I've never really looked) any of the Viking Dark Tower editions without a price. I'm stumped.

You might want to post your question over at http://www.TheDarkTower.com, in the Calvin's Corner (collector's) area. Someone there might have the answer.

John
GregH

Post by GregH »

What is really weird to me is both books without prices in the dust jacket have number lines on the CP page showing 1st printing and 5th printing. I never remember seeing a book club book with a number line.

I will post on the dark tower web site and see if anyone there knows.

Thanks
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Greg, the BOMC edition of Black House carried a numberline but no price on the dust jacket also. For that book, the regular trade edition had black boards and spine with silver lettering. The BOMC edition had black boards and spine with gold lettering.

I don't know why some publishers do what they do. :roll:

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I've also never looked for a BC edition of the book... but...traditionally no price on the DJ is a screaming indication that it's a BC edition.