The Gunslinger 2nd Printing

Any questions related to limited editions
GregH

The Gunslinger 2nd Printing

Post by GregH »

I can buy a copy from a friend that is decent shape but the dust jacket is price clipped :cry: Does this make a huge difference in the worth of the book? Also the book has one of the color illustrations upsidedown in the book. Would that make it worth more or less?
jhanic

Re: The Gunslinger 2nd Printing

Post by jhanic »

The price-clipped dust jacket makes a large difference: I'd say about 50-60% of the book's price, unfortunately. The upside-down illustration makes it an oddity, but shouldn't affect the price too much, one way or the other.

John
GregH

Post by GregH »

jhanic wrote:The price-clipped dust jacket makes a large difference: I'd say about 50-60% of the book's price, unfortunately. The upside-down illustration makes it an oddity, but shouldn't affect the price too much, one way or the other.

John
Thanks John I appreciate the info. I was afraid the clip would hurt the value. I was wondering why it would be clipped in the first place? I thought that was done by publishers when they sold them for a discount when they could not get rid of them. I did not think that would have been the case for this book.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

The second printing of the Gunslinger sold out fairly quickly. Probably it was given as a gift.

John
GregH

Post by GregH »

You mean a gift from the publisher? I had not thought of that. I had seen quite a few of the 2nd printing, and never one that was price clipped. Oh well that is the way it goes. :(
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

No, a gift from a friend/relative who didn't want the recipient to know how much the book cost.

John
GregH

Post by GregH »

OOOOOH :oops: Thanks John you have been very helpful.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I'm not sure it would cut as much as 50-60% of the value, maybe 20-30%. It affects the price a lot more for early SK works because the price is one of the main ways (and sometimes the only way) to determine whether a book is a true 1st edition, later printing, or BC edition.

For a 2nd edition of the Gunslinger the DJ could ONLY be a 1st or 2nd edition DJ. Since you're claiming the cheaper edition then there's no problem in terms of identifying the DJ, and the book itself is easy enough to identify.
T0ber138

Post by T0ber138 »

Not so long ago - Grant Books still had leftover dustjackets for this book (both printings I believe) for like $25 a pop. I actually bought a new one for the first printing figuring it couldn't hurt to have a brand spanking new dustjacket for my copy.