Night Shift $8.95 STICKER Price

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
OneFathom

Night Shift $8.95 STICKER Price

Post by OneFathom »

I've heard of some copies of Night Shift having a sticker price of $8.95 instead of the printed price on the dust jacket. Did the stickered versions cover 1st/1sts too?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Night Shift $8.95 STICKER Price

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

OneFathom wrote:I've heard of some copies of Night Shift having a sticker price of $8.95 instead of the printed price on the dust jacket. Did the stickered versions cover 1st/1sts too?
That's a cheat who puts a sticker on a Book Club jacket.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:
OneFathom wrote:I've heard of some copies of Night Shift having a sticker price of $8.95 instead of the printed price on the dust jacket. Did the stickered versions cover 1st/1sts too?
That's a cheat who puts a sticker on a Book Club jacket.
Amen. No price on the DJ means no true 1st edition. If you peeled off the sticker AND saw the same price on the DJ that's one thing, but no printed price is another.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I read somewhere that Doubleday ran out of first edition dust jackets so they put a sticker on some of the book club dust jackets to indicate the price. These are true first edition first printings, but because they have the sticker instead of the printed price, they are less valued by collectors.

John
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

John that is believable... Think about the DJ for Salem's Lot. They screwed that up and still published it with a reprice, cut corner and a type-o.

That said, I would treat a price sticker as a BCE dust jacket even if it had the correct code on page 336.