DT s/l PC set query

Any questions related to limited editions
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: DT s/l PC set query

Post by TheCollector »

TrueNorth wrote:I am curious, any thoughts on:

What would a full PC set fetch....compared to a full mix numbered set?
With so few of them being possible it's likely going to be one of those "whatever the market will bear" things. But I'd say a good starting point is to take a matching numbered DT set and then discount it by the 20-30% that PC editions are selling for relative to their numbered counterparts.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

David at Betts had some interesting views on the value of a complete matching PC set. His records indicate there are only 7 complete PC sets out there, as opposed to how ever complete matching numbered sets there are.

Now I take the view that potentially there can be only 500 complete numbered sets, and only 12 PC sets. Thus I would value a complete PC set much much higher. I doubt you would get anyone of those who won a matching set to sell, and if you did, it wouldn't be cheap.

I do recognise however that some take the view that say you have number 350, then there is only ever ONE matching set of #350, compared to potentially 12 matching PC sets, and thus some value the PC set lower. I'm not in this camp however, as to me it doesn't matter what number you have as a matching set, there are still 499 other numbers out there that could have a matching set.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

I don't think you would get a buyer for a full PC set nowadays.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

jimimck wrote:David at Betts had some interesting views on the value of a complete matching PC set. His records indicate there are only 7 complete PC sets out there, as opposed to how ever complete matching numbered sets there are.

Now I take the view that potentially there can be only 500 complete numbered sets, and only 12 PC sets. Thus I would value a complete PC set much much higher. I doubt you would get anyone of those who won a matching set to sell, and if you did, it wouldn't be cheap.

I do recognise however that some take the view that say you have number 350, then there is only ever ONE matching set of #350, compared to potentially 12 matching PC sets, and thus some value the PC set lower. I'm not in this camp however, as to me it doesn't matter what number you have as a matching set, there are still 499 other numbers out there that could have a matching set.
I think that before the recession there were more collectors that had this view, thus keeping the price of PC copies relatively in line with numbered. As Mr. Rabbit Trick so eloquently points out, many of those collectors seem to have dropped out of the market the remaining collectors (who never realy collected PC copies in the first place) find them less valuable.

Personally though, I feel like they shouldn't realy be priced at this much of a discount.

THE TAKEAWAY- PC collecting was/is a sub section of limited edition collecting, with so few collectors out there it doesn't take many to drop out (or get back in) to swing the value one way or another.
STEPHEN RODGERS

Post by STEPHEN RODGERS »

So it seems that a set of no 2 -- WTTKH PC would cost about $4500 add onto that a cost of say $4000 to $5000 for a pc gunslinger would be an outlay of say $9500 ,even if the wait was a year it would be a worthwhile chance to take especially as Betts have a set at $17000 .
Putting a wanted add on all the regular King sites would eventually get a hit and what a nice feeling getting that full ellusive set .Just remember Betts is the benchmark for prices and even though Betts is still looking for a sale the fact that its possible in time to complete that set for nearly 1/2 Betts price is a little more comforting --- go for it ,i wish i could .
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Just a bit of an update for you. The local seller sold this set for $3000nzd, which is about $2600usd.

It wasn't too me as he found a buyer in the same city as him and it was more convenient to allow pick up rather than shipping to me.

Let's just say I'm a bit dissapointed.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

jimimck wrote:Just a bit of an update for you. The local seller sold this set for $3000nzd, which is about $2600usd.

It wasn't too me as he found a buyer in the same city as him and it was more convenient to allow pick up rather than shipping to me.

Let's just say I'm a bit dissapointed.

Wow....someone got an incredible deal. Finding a set like this (at any price) won't be easy.

I understand you being dissapointed, I know you have been looking at the set for awhile. :cry: :cry:
racerx45

Post by racerx45 »

jimimck-

Sorry to hear this update and I feel your pain.
downs1418

Post by downs1418 »

OK I have been silently watching the discussion about these "Publisher's Copy" of the Dark Tower series. I am new to the collecting world so you may hold this question against me. Other than being stamped/marked/identified as "Publisher's Copy," is there any other distinction that makes these copies more desirable than regular limited edition copies? The limited market is far out of my reach right now, so the numbers that have been thrown around make my heart (and wallet) go into palpitations!!!
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

downs1418 wrote:OK I have been silently watching the discussion about these "Publisher's Copy" of the Dark Tower series. I am new to the collecting world so you may hold this question against me. Other than being stamped/marked/identified as "Publisher's Copy," is there any other distinction that makes these copies more desirable than regular limited edition copies? The limited market is far out of my reach right now, so the numbers that have been thrown around make my heart (and wallet) go into palpitations!!!
Most collectors would rather have a numbered/lettered copy because that makes it the only one with that number/letter. There can be any number of PC copies issued of a volume, making it one of a few.

There is no difference between the "regular" limited editions and the PC editions except that the limited copies have the unique number/letter, while the PC copies have either "PC" or "Publisher's Copy" where the number/letter would be. Physically they are the same.

Never be afraid to ask a question--that's how we all learned. :-)

John