Restoring a 2nd State Salem's Lot Dust Jacket???

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
OneFathom

Restoring a 2nd State Salem's Lot Dust Jacket???

Post by OneFathom »

So I managed to get my hands on a First Edition/First Printing of 'Salem's Lot (2nd State). The dust jacket is torn in half. I'm considering having the jacket restored professionally, but not sure if I should.

1. I'm sure the restoration process is expensive. Would it really be worth it?
2. I'm also aware that restoring an original dust jacket - despite it being in two pieces - affects its value negatively.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Can anyone recommend a good resource I can research if I decide to proceed with restoration?

Thanks for your help!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Restoring a 2nd State Salem's Lot Dust Jacket???

Post by TheCollector »

I've never been down that road, but I sure am interested in what you find out. Please keep us updated!
racerx45

Post by racerx45 »

I am interested in what you find out too. I just upgraded my Salem’s Lot and I have thought about having the DJ restored on the one I will be selling.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

The value of early King editions is all in the Dust Jacket. I wouldn't bother. However good the restoration is, it will always be devalued.
OneFathom

Post by OneFathom »

Update:

So I received an initial quote (ballpark figure) on repairing my torn 'Salem's Lot dust jacket. A basic "mend" (this is where some linen and glue is used to put the jacket back together, somewhat) would cost me around $150. I wasn't terribly satisfied with the company's description of what my jacket would look like afterwards so I decided to pass.

Now HERE is where it gets good...

A FULL restoration of the dust jacket, according to this one business, would likely cost me anywhere from $1,200 - $1,500. I'm sure the jacket would (or should) look great given the cost, but that's nowhere near my budget.

Just food for thought. Looks like I'll be holding onto it or selling it at this point. Sigh.
racerx45

Post by racerx45 »

Ouch, thanks for the update. I think I’ll leave mine as is when I sell it.
downs1418

Post by downs1418 »

So kinda along the same line of conversation . . .

I have a book that has a torn DJ that is much in the same condition as the book that started the conversation. It is no where near the value of the Salem's Lot book. But its mine and rare. To you much more experienced collectors, what do you do to keep a book in such condition in as good a condition as possible?
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

I would not restore, tape or glue. I would put it in mylar and enjoy it until I found a better one. Man that book is turning 40.....wow! With only 20,000 printed how many have survived? I would love to know that. Personally I love the first five of King's books the best and think they are underpriced. They will pry mine from my cold dead hands (unless I need the $ haha).
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

downs1418 wrote:So kinda along the same line of conversation . . .

......To you much more experienced collectors, what do you do to keep a book in such condition in as good a condition as possible?
1. Don't read the copy you want to collect.

2. Keep out of direct sun. I have a couple of unread books with bright covers but a washed out spine. Sad and there goes value.

3. Don't store in the basement, as there tend to be moist places.

4. If possible keep them covered. I love slip/traycases. Wish I had one for every book, just doesn't make financial sense to cover a $20 book with a $30 cover. With newer press runs in the millions I don't know if they will appreciate in value. That said we still buy them when available.

My 2 cents, good luck in growing your collection.
Foster
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

Great points to keep books in tact. Also, wherever you keep your books, keep the blinds always closed. Most importantly, only use bookcases. Meaning, a storage area with doors! Many people think a bookcase has no doors. This is wrong. That is a book shelf when there are no doors on it. Bookcases rarely if ever get dust inside them.