Dr. Sleep UK limited edition question

Any questions related to limited editions
allasorte

Dr. Sleep UK limited edition question

Post by allasorte »

Hello. I just received the UK version of Dr. Sleep. Slipcase, no dust jacket, hardcover, signed by SK of a limited run of 700 copies. This site states that is is a "facsimile signature." What exactly does that mean, "facsimile?" I thought that the author would sign a form of bookplate or card, and then it was attached to the book. That would mean his signature would be worth less because it was on something first, then attached. Hence facsimile signature.

But, the book I just purchased does have King's signature on the book itself and it is numbered 27/700. Anyone know then what a facsimile signature is? I can add a picture if anyone wants me too. Thank you!
allasorte

Re: Dr. Sleep UK limited edition question

Post by allasorte »

I looked it up and saw that it can also be am electronic reproduction. I'm guessing that he personally did not sign it then and a computer/printer made his signature. Am I right then on answering this myself? Thanks.
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

allasorte wrote:I looked it up and saw that it can also be am electronic reproduction. I'm guessing that he personally did not sign it then and a computer/printer made his signature. Am I right then on answering this myself? Thanks.
You are correct. UK Dr. Sleep came in two flavors.

1 of 200 signed by King (physically signed by Steve)

1 of 700 facsimile signature. King signed one page for the publisher, they make 700 copies, tip it in the book when binding. The number ink may be real, but the sig is nothing but a copy.

Obviously, the 1 of 200 is the more valuable.

Hope this helps

Mulleins
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

I knew the S/L's would be more for sure. I don't want to open the book wide open to look closely. Thank you!
faroshee7

Post by faroshee7 »

Thanks John...Maybe only Double Day knows for sure. My 1982 DJ has a price of $15.95. Have you (or anyone) seen a corrected 1983 DJ with a $15.95 price. Of the 250,000 copies printed maybe they printed the majority with 1982 making the 1983 rarer. OMG I need a life LOL.