Sandpapering the Text Block

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
TrueNorth

Sandpapering the Text Block

Post by TrueNorth »

Last year I bought a Danse Macabre online which was described to be in near mint condition to replace my so-so copy. When it arrived I was 100% satisfied with my purchase.

A week - 10 days ago I happen to take it off the shelf and was looking over. The top and bottom of the pages looked a little different, I mean no foxing, no yellowing but bright white. Not freaky different but I can see a little swirl and the pages are now all the same height.

I went to visit two used book stores and asked what is this all about. Both said that's common. One grabbed a book and a sanding block and outside we went where he gave me a demonstration.

He said its wood and a light sanding is fine. Any thoughts on the subject?

jhanic

Re: Sandpapering the Text Block

Post by jhanic »

I wouldn't worry about it. It looks fine.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I wouldn't worry either, but hadn't heard about this practice before and I' love to hear more details on the demonstration. Technique, mats, etc.

On the face of it, it does seem like something with the potential for abuse doesn't it, folks just going to town on any page edges with foxing/staining. Of course I'd guess it could also fall under light restoration type work.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

Thank you John and Tomas, it is reassuring you both don't think it's an issue. :P Even though I think it looks better, I was worried it might affect the value.

It was really simple, the store owner grabbed a book off his shelf and a foam sanding block and said....use a fine sandpaper and we need to go outside because it is a little messy.

He removed the DJ and held back the cover boards with his body and arm. With his left hand pinched all the pages tightly together and sanded with his right hand.

He did short gentle stokes away from him. The change was quick. I may practice on some beater books.

I asked about remainders. Nope, the ink goes to deep, but some people use dentist drills to get rid of those. He said that never works very well.
mulleins

Post by mulleins »

This teqnique has been around for a while. It's important to keep the boards safe by simply folding a piece of heavy stock paper over the board while you work. This will eliminate any chance of accidentally rubbing the book boards with sandpaper.

Ralph
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

mulleins wrote:This teqnique has been around for a while. It's important to keep the boards safe by simply folding a piece of heavy stock paper over the board while you work. This will eliminate any chance of accidentally rubbing the book boards with sandpaper.

Ralph
Good idea. Getting close to the headband/spine will take a little practice. Watchout BCE here I come :twisted:

'We Learn To Do By Doing' has been a life long slogan of mine. As well as 'Easy Does It'. Both apply here.

Foster
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Very informative, next time I see a hardback in the dollar bin I'll give it a try.
davem

Post by davem »

I managed to remove a library date stamp off my 1st UK edition The Shining, with a light sanding of the page block, it looks much better now, if not being any more valuable.
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

Just like John said. Hold block of pages and remove dust jacket. I've used 400 grit sandpaper as it's pretty soft. You do not grind! You move sandpaper in the motion of the grain so to speak. Meaning, with the pages, not against them. So you go one stroke at a time from the binding to the end of the book and not side to side. Also, storing your books in a real book case with doors is ideal. Never by windows unless blinds are never opened to avoid sunning.