Dr. Sleep - Lettered Edition

Any questions related to limited editions
The Brain

Dr. Sleep - Lettered Edition

Post by The Brain »

I received my copy of the Lettered Edition of Dr Sleep (from the publisher). I opened up the tray case to inspect the book and found the gilding on the page ends to have some scratches. The publisher tells me that all copies of this edition have some damage to the gilding and that the damage was caused during the binding process. The publisher kindly offered me a refund if I wanted to return it.

The reason for this post? Well...since my next door neighbor or even an acquaintance of mine does not have this edition to compare condition or ask about the gilding on their page ends...I wanted to ask you, "Does your copy have a similar problem? (Or, is this a problem confined to only my copy?)"

I could go on expressing my disappointment but now is not the time. Even with consideration of the rarity of this edition, it's simply a lot of money for a new book to be delivered in this condition. So, I gotta check it out.

Please let me know what you know. I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Dr. Sleep - Lettered Edition

Post by TheCollector »

While I wasn't lucky enough to get my hands on a lettered edition of Dr. Sleep, I have had a few books with gilded edges. I'm pretty sure they have all had some light damage (for lack of a better word). I never thought about it much, I just assumed that this type of edge work was pretty susceptible to rubbing/scratches, that included a S/L Stand I had at the time.

Of course I've never gotten a new out of the box edition like this. I'll leave the actual answer to your question of "Does your copy have a similar problem" to someone who also got a lettered edition.

On a related note, I'd love to see more pictures of the your copy if you're willing to share, I haven't seen any of the lettered Dr. Sleep books in the wild, I didn't know they had shipped yet.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

Here are a few photos of our Doctor Sleep. The book and tray case are well made and material and color choices were perfect.

Our book does have a minor silver guilding issue as well. I understand the disappointment when spending $2500 (yikes, I have bought cars for less). I compared it to 'It' (also a CD silver guilding letter) that has no issues.

Three signatures, two foldout pages, leather spine. It is a very nice book and a keeper.

You asked for photos hope I didn't Od on them.

The Brain

Post by The Brain »

Thank you for sharing. It helps put my mind at ease. When a book arrives less than perfect, you consider the rarity of the edition, how and where you made the purchase, the title (in the case of "It", one of my favorites) and of course the money you spent. Put it all together, take a deep breath and tell yourself it makes sense to have this sometimes crazy hobby. Are we really buying editions of books that can't and should not be read? Try explaining that to someone who is on the "outside" of this circle. I don't think it can be, you just have to "get" it!

Thank you for posting the photos-they are great shots that really represent the book.

Also, thanks for mentioning "It". Another great production from the publisher. But, my copy of "It" also had damage to the gilding. As I said earlier, my favorite title so I felt quite lucky to get a copy. But I will make recommendation to the publisher after this Dr. Sleep issue to maybe discontinue use of gilded page ends. Deckle edges on the next one perhaps?

Once I was asked how long I would continue collecting King? I said, "Just one more book. But seriously, until it stops being fun." I must say that finding this forum has made it fun again. Another sincere, "Thank You."
Cheers!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

HA! if there's two things I could never OD on it's probably Stephen King, and Teryaki !

OK there's more but those are two that come to mind lol. Thanks for sharing the pics, I REALLY like the outer wrap material of the traycase. I'll have to ask Brian what it is.

and.....

A belated welcome to "The Brain", welcome!! (I didn't notice your post count at first) Yeah it's great when you can share with people than share your interests.
Bob M

Post by Bob M »

I guess we will just have to disagree Tomas. I think the numbered traycase looks so much better than the lettered one. The white is so bright, maybe it is just the color and the fact you don't see many white cases. Just my opinion.

Bob
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

I love the white case as well, it is bright, crisp and pops off the bookcase.
...but when we cracked the box of the lettered open first emotion was WOW.

For me the smoky grey color and texture seemed rich and sophisticated. Made me want to change mustard brands....lol.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Bob M wrote:I guess we will just have to disagree Tomas. I think the numbered traycase looks so much better than the lettered one. The white is so bright, maybe it is just the color and the fact you don't see many white cases. Just my opinion.

Bob
I haven't gotten my numbered copy yet (had all three remarques CD offered), perhaps I'll change my opinion when I see it in person