Strange page coloring Tommyknockers 1st edition

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
downs1418

Strange page coloring Tommyknockers 1st edition

Post by downs1418 »

I recently acquired a 1st edition Tommyknockers with the "Permissions to Come" listed on the copyright page. I am positive it is a 1st edition, 1st printing. However, the book has one strange quirk. Two 30 page sections seem to be from an older text. I cannot see any rebinding or anything evidence that would show that pages have been replaced. The pages are browned. Anyway, if you were going to replace pages wouldn't you replace with clean white pages.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Re: Strange page coloring Tommyknockers 1st edition

Post by jhanic »

That is strange indeed. I've never seen it before. I have no idea how that could have happened.

You DO have a first printing--the "Permissions to Come" was done only in the first printing.

John
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

Yes it is a first.
I think someone at print shop grabbed the wrong roll of paper.

Here is mine, look at how dark the pages are....a real distraction that takes away from the book.

downs1418

Post by downs1418 »

What page numbers are included in your sections? Mine are pages 33-64 and 257-288.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

Mine is pages 33-64 only. I used to have another that had both like yours....not sure where it went. I have several other Tommyknockers that are all bright white.

I feel it decreases the value (not that it's a lot of money to begin with). Do you agree OR is it worth more because of its rarity?
downs1418

Post by downs1418 »

TrueNorth wrote:Mine is pages 33-64 only. I used to have another that had both like yours....not sure where it went. I have several other Tommyknockers that are all bright white.

I feel it decreases the value (not that it's a lot of money to begin with). Do you agree OR is it worth more because of its rarity?
I think it is all in how you advertise it. One could argue that it was an error book (such as bound upside down and so forth) and that it is even more rare. I'm like you; it's distracting. It is good to know that there are others like it out there though. If nothing else, its a conversation piece.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

downs1418 wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:Mine is pages 33-64 only. I used to have another that had both like yours....not sure where it went. I have several other Tommyknockers that are all bright white.

I think it is all in how you advertise it. One could argue that it was an error book (such as bound upside down and so forth) and that it is even more rare. I'm like you; it's distracting. It is good to know that there are others like it out there though. If nothing else, its a conversation piece.
I dated a girl with a wort on her nose...rare... but it was still a wort LOL
downs1418

Post by downs1418 »

TrueNorth wrote:
downs1418 wrote:

I dated a girl with a wort on her nose...rare... but it was still a wort LOL
Definitely distracting...definitely a conversation piece
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

I own the same with two different color copies. From what I understand, it was a paper error as it was simply an error, or they ran out of paper when printing the book. The bottom line is this. It is more rare to have your book then the standard first/first. Meaning an as new Tommyknockers is worth around 20.00 while your book with different color pages is worth around 50.00 in my opinion. I have seen it sell for less and for around 50.00.

Similar to Under the Dome standard first/first. There are some dust jackets that have grey lettering while almost all have the white. The grey is rare and accelerates the value like 10-20 more.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

allasorte wrote:I own the same with two different color copies. From what I understand, it was a paper error as it was simply an error, or they ran out of paper when printing the book. The bottom line is this. It is more rare to have your book then the standard first/first. Meaning an as new Tommyknockers is worth around 20.00 while your book with different color pages is worth around 50.00 in my opinion. I have seen it sell for less and for around 50.00.

Similar to Under the Dome standard first/first. There are some dust jackets that have grey lettering while almost all have the white. The grey is rare and accelerates the value like 10-20 more.
I don't completely agree with you on the value of the error-it's only more valuable to someone who collects errors.

As far as the "error" for Under the Dome--that was NOT an error. The first printing of Under the Dome was done with both dust jackets. Granted, the grey one is a bit more scarce, but only to completists (like me) who try to get all variations.

John