Night Shift 1st Edition Scam?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
OneFathom

Night Shift 1st Edition Scam?

Post by OneFathom »

So I picked up what I thought was a 1st/1st worn copy of Night Shift. Just got it in the mail a few moments ago, actually. The gutter code "S52" is on the final page, but the copyright page does not say 1st Edition, as it should. Upon looking a little more closely at the page with the "S52," it does have some miscoloration which is not consistent with the rest of the book. I have a gut feeling this book was altered...perhaps the final page was professionally inserted into the book to give it the "look" of a 1st/1st?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Luckily, I didn't pay much for the book, but is this activity common?
jhanic

Re: Night Shift 1st Edition Scam?

Post by jhanic »

The copyright page should indicate a "First Edition". If yours does not, it's definitely been altered.

John
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

I hear forging books is very expensive, but I assume that is for very rare books. But it surely sounds like someone added the S52. If it doesn't say first edition, it is not one. the dust jacket is a tell tale sign also. No price on it, run away! As long as it is the right price though lol.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

Sorry OneFathom
If it doesn't say FIRST EDITION it isn't. I imagine someone took a black rollerball and doctored it up. Adding FIRST EDITION would have been too hard to match to a 38 year old type.

I would give odds the DJ clipped....was it?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

How about a photo of the Gutter page in question, along with the copyright page and inner flap of the DJ. We'll see the pics and give you our consensus
OneFathom

Post by OneFathom »

Update:

I ended up returning the book to the buyer stating my case that it was, in fact, not a true first edition copy of Night Shift. It had the S52, but no mention of it being a first edition on the copyright page. The seller happily refunded my money. Case closed.
HONKYTONKSMASH

Post by HONKYTONKSMASH »

Hey guys
I apparently have the same thing going on. I purchased a night shift with the s52 gutter code but no mention of first edition? It has the 8.95 price in the dj however so im duped? Any thoughts?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

HONKYTONKSMASH wrote:Hey guys
I apparently have the same thing going on. I purchased a night shift with the s52 gutter code but no mention of first edition? It has the 8.95 price in the dj however so im duped? Any thoughts?
I think you may have been scammed. If it doesn't say First Edition on the copyright page, it is NOT a first edition.

John
TheLangoleer

Post by TheLangoleer »

There have been multiple instances of this same occurrence. It probably has something to do with the publisher as I would say Night Shift, although rare, isn't exactly a book someone would forge.