stickers on Dust jackets

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
miserywilkes

stickers on Dust jackets

Post by miserywilkes »

i have just seen a few UK 1st editions for sale (despite being in the UK i really only collect the US 1st's), but i've seen a bit of a deal of UK 1st's but on 2 of them there is the original price sticker on the back of the jackets (from the store when released), they look like they are already fairly half way off, but does anyone know how to carefully and successfully remove them without damaging the DJ.

Cheers, Owen
jhanic

Re: stickers on Dust jackets

Post by jhanic »

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sho ... from-Books

This should help.

John
miserywilkes

Post by miserywilkes »

that was pretty helpful, i'll see what i can do and leave the gasoline as a last resort :lol:

Owen
Carter

Post by Carter »

You need Bestine solvent.
amd013

Post by amd013 »

Just curious, do stickers on the DJ significantly devalue the book?

I have many 1st/1st hardcovers that have big stickers like 15% OFF, or something like that. In some cases it might be a big "Sale" sticker, with a space for a hand written price. These were bought pre-internet days at places like K-Mart, Krogers, Books & Co. etc. I would just as soon leave them on the books rather then risk damaging the book trying to take them off.

These would be books in the Misery through Rose Madder time frame.

Thanks,
Mike
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

amd013 wrote:Just curious, do stickers on the DJ significantly devalue the book?

I have many 1st/1st hardcovers that have big stickers like 15% OFF, or something like that. In some cases it might be a big "Sale" sticker, with a space for a hand written price. These were bought pre-internet days at places like K-Mart, Krogers, Books & Co. etc. I would just as soon leave them on the books rather then risk damaging the book trying to take them off.

These would be books in the Misery through Rose Madder time frame.

Thanks,
Mike
I'm not sure how significant in terms of dollars, since most of those titles aren't worth all that much to begin with, but I think most people would prefer to bid/buy a copy without the sticker, given the choice.