Is this copy of the Shining VG?

Are you looking for a specific number or book? Maybe you have a book someone is looking for... post it here! If you'd like to advertize your own ebay listings here as well that would be fine, just don't spam the boards.
Forum rules
- Only members can see and post to this Forum

- I am providing a forum for communication I but do not endorse, nor can I be responsible for anything bought or sold via this forum.

- If abuse is reported I will take whatever action I see fit, including banning of the user account.
Carter

Is this copy of the Shining VG?

Post by Carter »

I really can't stand inaccurate condition grades.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Shining-Ste ... 20df307078

There is a fine line between opinions solidly within a grade such as VG-, VG, or VG+. But, this is just false advertising. I think eBay should discourage listings like this. Of course, I know they can't police every listing... but in a perfect world.

I mean common, it's an ex library book with water damage!
TrueNorth

Re: Is this copy of the Shining VG?

Post by TrueNorth »

I thought the same thing. Last week he showed two dust jackets one with the correct price of $8.95 that was falling apart (I mean BAD) and the clipped price he has now. It was strange when I rolled over the pics one would become the other.

IMHO I would rate it Fair to Poor.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

TrueNorth wrote:IMHO I would rate it Fair to Poor.
I agree. With a price-clipped dust jacket and the obvious wear to the book itself, Fair at best.

John
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

I just signed up and had to reply. Periodically I get laid off, too much, and have found some nice deals and awful ones on e-bay. The one thing good about e-bay is that people put up pictures. Biblio, Abebooks, Alibirs, sellers do not and these sites sellers are asking astronomical amounts for books not even close to worth it. Anyway, I sometimes write to people and ask them specific questions about the book. As a collector, I won't read them so I would want the highest graded book possible. You have no idea how some of these people list inappropriately or even respond wrong. I get so pissed I send the damn book back.

Such as, "are the block pages clean." Of course they say yes or perfect and when you get the book they were either sitting in the sun for years or stained with black dots everywhere. How do you get black stains slash dots on the book? Are they kept in a mildew enclosed basement?

As for the "Shining" ad, people can ask whatever they want, though I think they should not be able for something that is beaten and treated poorly. But if an idiot is willing to pay a lot for something not worth it, then unfortunately let them.