The Stand first edition question

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
AlexxKing69

The Stand first edition question

Post by AlexxKing69 »

Okay, so I was browsing Amazon for first edition Stephen King books and I found some first editions for over $1,000 but I found one that says its a 1978 first editon but its NOT a first printing for around $50 (its not a book club edition either). Is it worth buying?
jimimck

Re: The Stand first edition question

Post by jimimck »

I'm not commenting if the book is worth $50, but from a collecting point of view, most would prefer to have a first edition, first printing.

First edition, first printing copies of The Stand go for much less than $1,000 however.

Betts books has one for $160, although it does have some defects (owners name written on it and edge wear to the dust jacket). That being said, one of The Collectors tray cases would be really good at showing off a true first edition.
AlexxKing69

Post by AlexxKing69 »

So I should just wait until I can afford a first printing? And what's the worth difference between a first printing and a second or third printing?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

AlexxKing69 wrote:So I should just wait until I can afford a first printing? And what's the worth difference between a first printing and a second or third printing?
As you my have noticed, a first printing, depending on condition, can go for as much as $1000. The most a second or third printing would be less than $100, if that much. It all depends on what you envision your collection to be. If you want a copy just as a placeholder, then go for the cheaper one; if you want only first printings, wait. Often a decent first can show up at a fairly reasonable price. Again, though, condition is important, espcially with the Doubleday Stand, because of its size and production values. A VG or mint copy can be expensive.

John
AlexxKing69

Post by AlexxKing69 »

I mainly want 1st edition/first printing, although I currently have a September 1986 4th printing of "It" but Im quite interested in the original Doubleday books
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

AlexxKing69 wrote:So I should just wait until I can afford a first printing? And what's the worth difference between a first printing and a second or third printing?
For serious collectors when they refer to a book as a 1st edition, they mean a 1st edition/1st printing. If you look up the definitions, in order for a book to technically be a 2nd edition it needs to have some sort of textual, or other significant changes to it.

For example some spelling corrections, new DJ art, etc. If the publisher runs out of the 1st printing and just order another run with everything being identical then it's still a 1st edition but 2nd printing.

Collectors typically just call the 2nd printing a 2nd edition, or 3rd edition, etc. Although that may or may not be technically accurate.... In terms of what's considered collectible for King trade editions though, it's always a 1st edition 1st printing. Which is just generically referred to as the 1st edition.

Here's a nice long wiki article to give you more info then you thought you'd ever need to know :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edition_%28book%29
AlexxKing69

Post by AlexxKing69 »

Thank you! That was actually helped me learn more than just stuff about editions