US Limiteds

Any questions related to limited editions
EarthsMilitantMind

US Limiteds

Post by EarthsMilitantMind »

Lately I've been watching may of the US limiteds going for way under what this site has listed. Do you need to readjust the prices or do you think some of us have just been getting lucky lately? I certainly understand that these are estimates and would understand 25% differencials but the last 3 DT III s/n have gone for about 450 on e-bay. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought.
jhanic

Re: US Limiteds

Post by jhanic »

I'd say that the prices may have to be rethought. This seems a "down" time for SK books (along with just about everything else), maybe because people are liquidating parts of their collections due to the economy.

John
blg

Post by blg »

I was recently wondering the same thing, although I figured that SK books like most other things, go through up and down cycles. However, with that being said, books that sell at auction tend to go for quite a bit less than some of the prices on this site, as well as Abe and other small bookstores.

It's definitely a buyer's market. I picked up a S/L Eyes of the Dragon (black ink) for $435 not too long ago.

There was an auction that ended yesterday for DT II-VII #533, for $2900, and all were in shrinkwrap except DT II.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Hey folks,

I go thru a revaluation at the end of each year, with some minor corrections around the 6 month period. The reason that the price value's don't get updated more often is because it's hard to say whether a month or two is indiciative of a "new" price or whether that book has just temproarily gone up or down in value.

The other thing is ebay vs bookstore. Bookstore prices tend to be more stable (and higher) whereas ebay can be all over the place...It's kind of funny a couple times each year a few stores e-mail complaining that my prices are set to low ;)

I think what's going on with ebay right now is that people are being stressed out financially, either layed off, higher bills, can't get a loan, etc etc.... and they're dumping their SK books for whatever they can get.

I will be doing pricing adjustments next months but dont' expect a huge reduction. I DO NOT expect that the new norm for a S/L Eyes of the Dragon is going to be $400. No way an established seller like Betts Books would list that low (and Betts IS still selling books successfully at non-ebay prices) Ebay is definitly chock full of good deals. I'd recommend checking that live link I have on the main page regularly and pick up the steals.

But not everything is a firesale...I just looked at some of the completed sales last month and clearly not everything sold was for a bargain. Just a couple examples

S/L DT-7 went for $899
S/L Skeleton Crew went for $900
S/L Salem's Lot went for $1,225

While the S/L DT 2-7 went for $3,055 a set of DT books 4-7 went for $2,385, clearly the guy buying for 3k got a steal.
EarthsMilitantMind

I'm the one who picked up IV-VII for $2385 as well as a III for $453, and ES for $500 and I feel I got a steal on all of them. I'm not trying to dog your pricing but I do think the current situation shows that a drop in value is happening.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

No offense taken at all; afterall the price of a book is what people pay for it.... you, me, and the other collectors out there. I just try to put an average number on the range people pay; but it's not an exact science.

In preperation for my normal yearly overview of prices next month I'll be talking to a few people (both collectors and stores) to get a consenus on prices.
blg

Post by blg »

Did anyone else see that lettered From A Buick 8 that didn't sell at $1300? I thought about that one for a minute but ultimately didn't bid as I've spent way too much money recently. Also, not that it matters, but it's really not one of my favorite King novels.

Out of curiosity, is there anything there that tries to place values on signed King compilations? I recently picked up Prime Evil (US) for what I thought was a pretty good price.
e_taylor

Post by e_taylor »

I think the From a Buick 8 may have had more to do with the seller's feedback rating.

I'm willing to bet if Hutch or Veryfine Books was the seller it would have gone, probably for more than the starting bid too!
EarthsMilitantMind

$1300 is still a lot of dough though, I've been watching the s/n eyes of the dragon for $600, not the same as a s/l From a buick 8 of course but still a good deal, and have been suprised no one has snatched that up. I would have if I haven't brought so much lately, I'm looking to build a DT connections collection one day where I have s/n DT plus all the conected books that go along with it. Needless to say it is lucky for me I dont have a $25000 credit card or something like that.
blg

Post by blg »

I've purchased a few books from the seller that has that Eyes of the Dragon up and have been very happy with what he's sent me. He does an extremely good job of packaging what he sends.