Bachman Books US first Edition - please put on website

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
millertek

Bachman Books US first Edition - please put on website

Post by millertek »

I'd be interested to see what info you could post about that US 1st edition...

It's stats are similar to Thinner - however it;s rarer and I'd like to get your pricing opinion on it...

thanks,

steve
jhanic

Re: Bachman Books US first Edition - please put on website

Post by jhanic »

It would not be unheard of for the US hardcover first of The Bachman Books to easily go for more than $200 in fine condition. There were only 15,000 hardcover copies printed (and they printed the trade paperback at the same time, so those sold more quickly).

John
millertek

Post by millertek »

Thank you -
It's a hardcover, with the price on the DJ, and full number line, in excellent condition - similar to stats for Thinner.
I was also thinking between $100 & $200
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Well, I didn't include it because it's realy a reprint of previous stories not it's own edition. I suppose I could, but there are other omibus type editions out there, should I include those? Or perhaps make a page where I lump those types of editions together?
Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg »

jhanic wrote:It would not be unheard of for the US hardcover first of The Bachman Books to easily go for more than $200 in fine condition. There were only 15,000 hardcover copies printed (and they printed the trade paperback at the same time, so those sold more quickly).

John

Very eeeenteresting... I was fuzzy on the print run for that one. I own a 1st ed HC of this book, but have always lusted over the original paperbacks.

I found this book (plus a 1st edition cpoy of The Shining) at a local used book exchange in Gainesville, Georgia. I do a lot of 'Horse Trading' in books. My girlfriend is a librarian and she gives away discarded inventory to thrift stores and such. If they are unmarked, those can be exchanged for store credit at local used book stores. I also hit estate and garage sales. Anyhow, I was dropping off a huge box of trashy romance novels at the book exchange and noticed both of them sitting on a shelf behind the counter. I asked the clerk why they were kept back there instead of with the other store inventory and she said they cost more. When I asked to have a look at them I noticed they were drastically more expensive than the rest of the "regular" stock on the shelves. In fact, they were near double - a whole ten dollars apiece! Twenty dollars has never flown from my wallet so quickly and I walked out of the store looking like I had stolen something. I kept thinking the clerk was going to stop me and want them back before I could pull my car out of the parking lot.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

A great buy! Those kind of things happen occasionally, but not too often. Congratulations!

Right after the Blaze proofs were being distributed, I found one of the manuscript proofs on ABE for $30! I sold it not long after for $300 (I already had that one.)

Just a matter of being in the right place (or looking in the right place) at the right time!

John
brownt2707

Post by brownt2707 »

So does the Bachman Books numberline start with a 1? I was told the first edition should be 2-9? I would like to buy a copy and want to know what true first edition numberline I should look for?
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

No, it should have a full numberline:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 on Copyright Page
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

The only King trade edition first printing with a number line starting with a "2" is Black House. All the other trades, if they have a number line, start with "1".

John
adolfainsley8

Post by adolfainsley8 »

The Bachman Books to easily go for more than $200 in fine condition. There were only 15,000 hardcover copies printed (and they printed the trade paperback at the same time, so those sold more quickly).???