Presentation Copy vs. Numbered Limited Edition...

Any questions related to limited editions
Carter

Presentation Copy vs. Numbered Limited Edition...

Post by Carter »

Concerning PC, numbered, lettered, etc. I now when I purchase a lettered edition (26 copies) vs. a numbered edition (say 500 copies) the lettered is more expensive to purchase because there are fewer; much rarer.

Question: Does he same hold true for PC copies (say when there are only 10)? That is super rare. Is there truly a premium on a Presentation Copy sighed where say only 10 exist? Or can you expect the value to be the same overall?

Thanks.
ajw2910

Re: Presentation Copy vs. Numbered Limited Edition...

Post by ajw2910 »

In my experience, PC copies do not have the value of a limited edition which has a number attached to it. I agree that there may be far fewer copies but it seems there is something that makes people feel more secure knowing they have 1 of 1500 as compared to a PC copy not part of that sequence of numbers. I know I don't normally buy PC copies, just from researching their worth as compared to the actual numbered version. I would say their value is normally a ggod bit lower than a numbered copy.

I'm sure others on here with more experience can provide more info.

Tony
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Most collectors feel that the numbered/lettered copy is more valuable than the PC copy because each numbered/lettered copy is unique--it's the only one with that number/letter. Others don't feel the same way. It's more an individual thing.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I know our friend Mr. Rabbit Trick has a definite opinion that PC copies are inferior. I wouldn't exactly say that myself but I will say that for the last couple of year the market in general has been knocking off around 10% off the value of a PC compared to a numbered edition.

There are a few people out there that look specifically for PC editions as it's easier to build a PC set than match individual numbered sets. But they currently seem to be in the minority.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks for the opinions so far. I like rarity, and knowing there are ten or fewer, I'm a buyer. ;)

btw- what is considered a fair price in VF?
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

I'm gonna throw my 2c worth in, and I already know my opinion won't be met with agreement by many (if any).

To me, the number/letter/pc written on the book makes no difference to the value of a book to me at all. It's the actual publication of it that I place value on. Eg a lettered edition that has 52 copies, but is exactly the same as the 500 numbered edition in regards to binding, slipcase, dust jacket etc just means there are 552 of the same book to me. (I just couldn't pay for lettered gunslinger at those prices compared to numbered gunslinger)

So add in PC copies to that, and if there were 10 of those, just means 562 of the same boom exist to me.

I like how lettereds, numbereds, and gift editions are often coming with all having slight variations (IT anniversary edition for example). When a book has different materials used for the publication, different artwork, different slip/tray case etc, that to me means each edition warrants its own value compared to the other editions. Again, PC copies just add to the number of s/l that already exist for me.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I agree with everything James said, but I still think a lettered edition is better then a PC, even though it's exactly the same otherwise. If I could afford it, I'd go for both whenever they are available. Some of the PC copies of Underwood/Miller Jack Vance books are very hard to come by now, and have definitely increased in value.
sgc1999

Post by sgc1999 »

There are also circumstances where a PC is clearly worth more than all other copies, as in the case with Stephen Kings, "six stories". The pc is the rarest edition of the book and sells for more than the other editions. This is a rare case however.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

sgc1999 wrote:There are also circumstances where a PC is clearly worth more than all other copies, as in the case with Stephen Kings, "six stories". The pc is the rarest edition of the book and sells for more than the other editions. This is a rare case however.
That's just not true. The rarest "Six Stories" is the 1 of 200 Roman numeraled copies.

You can get a PC copy for $1200 on ABE right now, whereas the Roman numeraled is $1850 on ABE.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:
sgc1999 wrote:There are also circumstances where a PC is clearly worth more than all other copies, as in the case with Stephen Kings, "six stories". The pc is the rarest edition of the book and sells for more than the other editions. This is a rare case however.
That's just not true. The rarest "Six Stories" is the 1 of 200 Roman numeraled copies.

You can get a PC copy for $1200 on ABE right now, whereas the Roman numeraled is $1850 on ABE.
I think in the specific case of Six Stores the reason the Roman Copy is worth more than the PC is simple....There's no difference between the various states aside from the number. So a PC copy could be Roman variant or Regular limited no way to tell (since it's the same book). Whereas the Roman Numerals are clearly distinguished by the numbering.