Well now what

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
Bounce0320

Well now what

Post by Bounce0320 »

Just recently "completed" my collection of 1/1sts and am currently in the process of upgrading the few copies that need replacements, which is the next obvious step. But, I was wondering, what will I do next?! What is the next step some of you have taken? I just cannot put myself through trying to find all of the "1st appearances" so that's out. I'm considering either trying to get all UK 1/1sts OR I will just go all in and go for S/Ls. Thoughts?
jhanic

Re: Well now what

Post by jhanic »

Trying to get all the 1st/1st UK editions would be a great challenge. The first few books are EXTREMELY scarce and expensive.

Most of the signed limiteds are easier to find and could be a less expensive way to go.

It's really up to you (and your wallet!)

John
Bounce0320

Post by Bounce0320 »

Another idea has been to look for signed 1/1sts. I assume this would also be a more difficult route. I think it's taken me about 25 years to get to this point so I figure whichever I opt for next will also take some time!
Thank you!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I also think picking up artist editions are a nice bridge. Many AE's can be picked up in the $50-$100 range which isn't that big a step up (financially) from 1st editions.

The quality of some of these gift editions is superb, in some cases they're almost identical to the S/L but missing the signature. If my memory isn't too foggy I belive my 1st AE purchase was Desperation, followed by Insomnia.
Bounce0320

Post by Bounce0320 »

Yes I actually just jumped on the 44 percent off at CD for the It 25th Anniv Gift edition (I had been waiting on that one hoping to get a deal). I have the Insomnia Gift, that was my first Gift/AE aside from all the DT AEs. Is there a list somewhere with which editions have Gift/AEs? There aren't that many right?
Bounce0320

Post by Bounce0320 »

TheCollector wrote:I also think picking up artist editions are a nice bridge. Many AE's can be picked up in the $50-$100 range which isn't that big a step up (financially) from 1st editions.

The quality of some of these gift editions is superb, in some cases they're almost identical to the S/L but missing the signature. If my memory isn't too foggy I belive my 1st AE purchase was Desperation, followed by Insomnia.

Well a quick inventory tells me I'm only needing 3 Gift/AEs : Black House, FAB8 and Regulators. Hmm. I guess I better get my wallet ready for the S/Ls!!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Not a list in on one page - but if you check each S/L page individually, if there's an artist edition it will be listed.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Depending on your own definition of a gift edition, you may find there are quite a few more to add to your list. I include anything that is a step up from the trade edition, so the UK facsimile signed editions fall in to that category for me. As does The delux unsigned edition of The Talisman, Green Mile, Little Sisters, Salems Lot, WTTK (you may have that already under the DT collection), Secretary of Dreams vol 1&2, Dead Zone, Under the Dome collectors edition.

It's the gift edition set I'm focusing ahead of my 1sts, just cos I don't see me coughing up for a Gunslinger any time soon lol.
Bounce0320

Post by Bounce0320 »

Thank you for that, I overlooked Talisman and Salems Lot, I do have all the others you mentioned though. Like I had mentioned earlier, I have been at this for many years and it's been a slow process but looking back I have gotten some great bargains too ($50 for the first Easton Dead Zone - as new condition, $400 for my Gunslinger - from a reputable bookstore). It seems though that this interest does become more and more expensive as time goes by...and not only because the books' values have increased! Ah the desire to complete the seemingly uncompletable collection! (the "new" Whelan remarqued DTVII is my copy and I am so fortunate to have added it to my collection!)