DJ value alone vs with the book

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Bounce0320

DJ value alone vs with the book

Post by Bounce0320 »

No doubt this has been asked but, how would one judge a fair price for a dust jacket alone vs buying the book with said DJ? Let me give an example. I recently upgraded my copy of The Shining (and am very pleased I might add!). The bookstore owner told me that he does have a Pristine, as new Shining 1st edition (per price) cover that he was going to place on the book that I did purchase though he said it would increase the price by $150. I opted to take the book as it was and said I would be back to look at (and likely buy) the other DJ as well. My question then, what is fair for the jacket alone? Still $150?
The DJ currently on the book is in VG+ shape I would say (no tears, very very minimal wear on spine edges, great color for its age) but the "new" one would sure look great! Advice is appreciated.
jhanic

Re: DJ value alone vs with the book

Post by jhanic »

I'd offer the seller $100 for the pristine dust jacket. The jacket does influence the value of the book considerably.

John
Bounce0320

Post by Bounce0320 »

Thank you John!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

John's right (when is he not ;) ) In general a DJ will be anywhere from 70-95% of a books value. Seems strange maybe, after all the book is what you read but it's because the DJ is so easily damaged whereas a book can stay pristine much more easily.

One item to note on this shining DJ, or anytime you think of making a swap please make sure you are actually putting on the same edition DJ.

For example, you'll often find book club DJ's in excellent condition but if you remove a 1st edition DJ in poor condition and replace with a mint condition BC DJ you're lowering the value of the book not increasing it.

Condition is very important...having the right item is even MORE important.
Bounce0320

Post by Bounce0320 »

I appreciate the words of caution though I completely trust this bookstore owner and feel he is quite knowledged in his field. He even advised that putting a pristine DJ on a book in less than Fine condition just wouldnt be right either. (that's why the book I just bought was a good choice as it is in excellent shape). I will be sure to verify the correct price is on the "new" DJ though before I buy it (I assume this really is the only way to assure it is a 1st jacket).
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Yes it looks like your local bookdealer is steering your correctly I was speaking just in general terms regarding the DJ's...in case anyone got any ideas from reading this thread :)

Yes you'll want to look at the price of the DJ to determine the edition.