Stephen King @ UMaine commencement, May 2005

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
deepdorp

Stephen King @ UMaine commencement, May 2005

Post by deepdorp »

I just wanted to share this (slightly wordy) account of a moment at my college commencement at University of Maine, Orono from May 7, 2005:

As my class (I was Mechanical Engineering) filed into the auditorium, Stephen King -- the commencement speaker -- was standing across the room from the stage watching us walk to our seats. Earlier in the day, I had cut out a Boston Red Sox logo and pasted it onto the top of my mortarboard. As the line approached where Mr. King was standing and watching, and subsequently turned down the aisle to our seats, I tipped my head way forward to hopefully garner Mr. King's attention to my modified headpiece. It worked! He noticed the logo and gave me a 'thumbs up' as we made eye contact after I lifted my head back up. I was very pleased with myself, I must say, and will remember the experience fondly.

I wonder if he would recall this moment as well?

Unfortunately, we did not have the honor or chance to shake his hand that day, but still happy to have my personal account nonetheless.

Oh, and in a slightly related memory: Bangor High School played a basketball game against my High School in Waterville, ME. This must have been around 1994/1995 or so. I'm guessing it was his son, Owen, who he must have been there to see. It was pretty neat to see Stephen King sitting in the bleachers in my high school gym! I was not as big a fan back then, otherwise I would have definitely tried to get an autograph. I can't remember who won the game.

Thanks for reading, SIG
link to video of May 7, 2005 speech:
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/187000-1
jhanic

Re: Stephen King @ UMaine commencement, May 2005

Post by jhanic »

Great stories! Thanks for sharing!

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

Re: Stephen King @ UMaine commencement, May 2005

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I agree, nice story!