rare proof

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
marvine

rare proof

Post by marvine »

Does anyone know the value of the uncorrected proof of The Doctor's Case? This short story appeared in The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and the proof was published seperately and was not part of the proof for the rest of the book. This was because KIng was late in submitting the story. I believe there were only a few copies of the proof.
jhanic

Re: rare proof

Post by jhanic »

If you also have a copy of the proof of The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, the value does go up. Without it, I'd say in the $100-150 range. With it, I'd say in the $200-250 range.

John
marvine

Post by marvine »

I tend not to agree since the only reeference I could find was to a $500 sale in 1997. The reference stated there were very few copies (less than 20). Since this is a King piece and the rest of the book is not, I think it would be stand alone and that the value would not be related to the proof of the larger book. I have never seen any other copy mentioned anywhere before or after the reference to the 1997 sale.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I paid less than $250 for my copy in 2008. There have been a few others offered since then, and all have gone for about that same amount. I've never seen just The Doctor's Case offered separately.

Check out post #64 for a picture of my copy:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/sho ... nic-proofs

John
marvine

Post by marvine »

Thanks for the information. I stand corrected
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

No problem! Glad I could help.

Unfortunately, proofs of books with King items in them just aren't as valuable as the proofs of his books.

John