The Shining Proof copy signed...

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
TheGunslinger

The Shining Proof copy signed...

Post by TheGunslinger »

Can anyone tell me what dollar value they would put on a signed Proof of 'The Shining' in VG+ condition; hardcover?

Thanks.
jhanic

Re: The Shining Proof copy signed...

Post by jhanic »

None of the proofs of Shining were done in hardcover. Please post some pictures of what you have, making sure you have a pic of the signature. It's possible that what you have is an Advance Reading Copy.

John
TheGunslinger

Post by TheGunslinger »

I'll post pics. Then this must me an ARC (I always seem to confuse the two). ARCs are closer in finish to the final publication? Proofs are usually without graphics then.

Then, what would the value be on an ARC signed?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

A proof is usually defined as a soft-covered item that is published before the actual publication of an item. What is known as an ARC is a similar item but usually has a picture of the cover on the front, as opposed to a proof, which is undecorated. And Advance Review Copy (sorry, I used the wrong term in my post above) is simply a hardcover first printing that was distributed by the publisher in advance of the actual publication of the book. Usually the only identification of such an item is the inclusion of a letter from the publisher stating that this is an advance copy.

Again, condition is everything. If you do, indeed, have the publisher's letter and the book itself is in fine condition, you have a fairly valuable item there.

Don't forget, too, that Doubleday published two "varieties" of The Shining--the initial one back in 1977 that actually states "First Edition" on the copyright page and a later one back in the '90s that had a different dust jacket.

John
TheGunslinger

Post by TheGunslinger »

I'm at work not and don't have access to my scans, but the copy has the picture if the eyes with Stephen King in red lettering and The Shining are in white.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

That sounds like the later reprint. If you check out the picture shown under 1st Editions on this site, you'll see what the first edition really looks like.

John