Night Shift

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
roughradio

Night Shift

Post by roughradio »

I have an obviously old copy which has a small, $8.95 D$D CO. INC sticker on the front dj. The sticker measures 5/8" x 3/8". The bottom corner of the front dj is clipped. What would indicate this copy is a 2nd printing? The sticker vice a printed price bothers me. Can anyone explain the sticker?
Also, the gutter code is a "T" and I cannot read the #. I understand "S-52" indicates a first edition. Does this "T" indicate a second printing?
Last edited by roughradio on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhanic

Re: Night Shift

Post by jhanic »

The best way of telling if it's not a first is to check out the code on the inner margin of page 336. If it's S52, you have a first edition (although the dust jacket may not be a first edition jacket). If it's not an S52, then you have a later printing. I don't think Doubleday printed any number lines on the copyright page. The true first edition should have "First Edition" on the copyright page.

John
millertek

Post by millertek »

I own a 1st edition 1st printing of Night Shift - and the OFFICIAL code is S52 on page 336 in the inner low left margin. On the Dust Jacket the price needs to be $8.95, too. If you have this, then you;re good to go - anything else included with this fine, too
biomieg

Post by biomieg »

roughradio wrote:I have an obviously old copy which has a small, $8.95 D$D CO. INC sticker on the front dj. The sticker measures 5/8" x 3/8". The bottom corner of the front dj is clipped. What would indicate this copy is a 2nd printing? The sticker vice a printed price bothers me. Can anyone explain the sticker?
Also, the gutter code is a "T" and I cannot read the #. I understand "S-52" indicates a first edition. Does this "T" indicate a second printing?
According to the 'gutter code theory' the letter stands for the year (P = 1974, Q = 1975, R = 1976, S = 1977, T = 1978 etc.). The number represents the week within that specific year that the book was printed. The first edition S52 stands for a week (probably the last one) in December, 1977. So it's likely that a 2nd printing has a Txx code.

As for the price sticker and clipped inner front DJ flap: it's rumored that Doubleday used Book Club DJs on an indeterminate number of trade editions - hence the price sticker (BCEs don't have a price) and the clipped corner where 'Book Club Edition' was printed.

A true/desirable 1st/1st edition has red/black boards, a printed price of $8.95 on the DJ, a 'First Edition' statement on the copyright page and the S52 gutter code.
KeatsJ1964

Post by KeatsJ1964 »

I have a Night Shift that looks to be a First Edition. It's red and black. However the DJ does not have a price, nor does it state BCE.

In the gutter on page 336, it has MP2Y. I have another Nightshift that has black borders and DOES have a code on the back cover, and no code on 336; thus, a BCE.

Is this a first edition or not? Oh, there is no code on the back of the book.

Interestingly, I have the same issue with Firestarter, where it is the same size, color of a 1st, however the DJ is void of a price, no BCE code on back DJ.

Thank you.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

KeatsJ1964 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:22 am I have a Night Shift that looks to be a First Edition. It's red and black. However the DJ does not have a price, nor does it state BCE.

In the gutter on page 336, it has MP2Y. I have another Nightshift that has black borders and DOES have a code on the back cover, and no code on 336; thus, a BCE.

Is this a first edition or not? Oh, there is no code on the back of the book.

Interestingly, I have the same issue with Firestarter, where it is the same size, color of a 1st, however the DJ is void of a price, no BCE code on back DJ.

Thank you.
Good question, so any time you have a DJ without a price on the inner flap, it's a BCE - even if it doesn't specifically call it out as one anywhere else.