Pet Sematary, no Publish info?

Any questions related to limited editions
Wikeni

Pet Sematary, no Publish info?

Post by Wikeni »

I found an old, hardcover copy of Pet Sematary in my Nana's attic about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, there is no dust cover. The book is black, and writing on the binding is a bright green foil lettering. There is also a green foil "signature" of Stephen King's on the front. When I opened the book to look at the Publishing information, I found nothing. There is no year, copyright, whether or not it's a first edition... nothing. It was not ripped out, it was just never printed inside of the book. The publisher is Viking, which is at least on the first page. Another curious bit is that in the typical "other works by Stephen King" page, there are only about 10 other works listed. I know that Doubleday was the first publisher of Pet Sematary, so I'm doubtful that this any kind of special find, but I'm curious as to why I can't find any information about the Viking Hardcover edition. I am unable to load any pictures at this time (my Mother is borrowing the book), and I cannot find any pictures of it on the internet, sadly. Any thoughts are very much appreciated! :D
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Pet Sematary, no Publish info?

Post by TheCollector »

Unfortunately you're probably not going to like my thought, but here goes:

It doesn't really matter if it's a 1st edition or not. If it's missing the dustjacket and the copyright page has been torn out then it has no value beyond a reading copy. 90%+ of a books value is in the DJ. The fact the book itself is damaged we're talking 99% of the value is gone.

Probably not the news you were looking for but I hope it helps.
Wikeni

Post by Wikeni »

The Publish info was not torn out, it was never printed inside of it. But I do realize the copy is basically worthless, I wasn't looking to sell it, just wondering about the origins of a book that doesn't seem to really exist. Spooky, Mr. King should write about that! ;) Thank you for your help though!
millertek

Post by millertek »

Yes, everyone who replied is correct - without the dust jacket, it's not really worth it to go any further. There are variations and markings, but these all include the dust jacket, so without - no significant value.