COLLECTOR FORUMS... Ask questions - Get Answers
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Value of Autograph
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Err.. I probably should do a little research before I answer this, but going off my memory of the last time the sig was offered, I think the signed books go for between $125 - $150...Last time the signature was pretty bad (couldnl't make out a name at all). I'm curious if they'll look the same or not.

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
--Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:05 pm 

I recently paid $75 on eBay for a Phil Hale signed, 1st Edition, Drawing of the Three, published by Grant, book and dust jacket in fine condition except for a little yellowing of the pages (which seems to be common for the first and second books I've seen) with protective cover. Hope that's helpful.

-Andrea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:18 pm 

Thank you to both of you for your help. I'm buying one straight from Donald M. Grant for $75, first edition, signed by hale (according to them they're not factoring the signature into the price) and I wanted to know if that was a good deal (or at least what everyone else is paying.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:24 pm 

I would say it adds about $40-60 to the book. As you probably know, Grant is selling some for $75. This is about right. After the book goes out-of-print, the value may jump slightly, maybe to about $100.

John

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:00 pm 

Good to know Grant has a few more signed copies, at the time I purchased mine they did not have any more signed copies available.

Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:12 am 

These ones just became available (or are going to become available--Phil Hale is coming in).

John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:09 pm 

tell you what - King signed stuff is definately a blast and brings up the value - but because the amount of fakes is so high - there are a few things you have to consider:
1. his sig is not really complicated and anyone can fake it....therefore proceed with caution
2. get a limited signed/numbered edition - to guarentee authenticity.
3. but if you cannot afford that - here's how to get a signed book with the best chance of a REAL sig....

1. get an older book that has his sig....way back - nobody faked him way back so you have a better chance with an older signed book. Like a Dead Zone book club, etc....way back...fakers tend to choose newer books....with newer ink....
2. choose a sig with a custom note and name it's made out to....flatsigned sigs alone are easily faked but a faker would never attempt a forgery that included a custom note and name...right? My dead zone book club signed is made out to someone and say's "all the best" before he signed it - and note he dated it from the 80s, too.....fakers would not attempt that.
3. Get a signed book with proof like a receipt or similar evidence. I bought a flatsigned newer book from a seller i knew was valid and the receipt woudl back it up forever....for example - remember when the Haven Foundation offered signed King books to raise money? keep the receipt for evidence.
4. finally what about a book signing? King really doesnt do that much anymore...so if you are lucky enough to go to a book signing from an event, etc...make sure you provide and save as much evidence as you can if all you get is a name flatsigned. get your book customized if you can....

good luck with your seach -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Great tips, I agree with most of that, but....

Quote:
get an older book that has his sig....way back - nobody faked him way back so you have a better chance with an older signed book. Like a Dead Zone book club, etc....way back...fakers tend to choose newer books....with newer ink....

It's true that nobody faked his signature way back in the begining, but I think a person selling fake sigs on eBay would just as easily pick up a BC Dead Zone as anything else. Maybe even more likely because you can find early BC editions for a buck at any garage sale, thus making it even cheaper then a new copy of "just after sunset" or whatetever the latest book is at the time of forgery.

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
--Your source for info on rare Stephen King--