1ST EDITION DIFFERENT SEASONS

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Ga Outlaw

1ST EDITION DIFFERENT SEASONS

Post by Ga Outlaw »

I went to my local used book store today & found a copy of the first edition of Different Seasons. The dust jacket has some wair to it. I payed $7.00 for it. How bad will the wair effect the value?

P.S. About a year ago at the same book store I found a Bag Of Bones A.R.C. for $2.95
jhanic

Re: 1ST EDITION DIFFERENT SEASONS

Post by jhanic »

It really depends on how much wear there is. A dust jacket contributes about 80-85% of the value of the book, so it is very important.

John
Ga Outlaw

Post by Ga Outlaw »

Thanks I'll post some pictures soon. My camera's batteries are dead at the moment though.
Ga Outlaw

Post by Ga Outlaw »

needfulthings

Post by needfulthings »

SORRY but First off that is not a 1st edition as you can see by the by the printings # line this is a 4TH edition. The dust jacket is trashed and at best this is a $1.00 book and just a reading copy. Better Luck Next Time. :cry:
Ga Outlaw

Post by Ga Outlaw »

Oh well. You can't win them all. Thanks for the info.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

Nice clear pictures though.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

It looks like it was a very well-loved copy.

John
needfulthings

Post by needfulthings »

Dear Ga Outlaw Did the book dealer tell you that this book was a first or did you just assume it was. If it was the dealer take the book back & get your hard earned $7.00 back. If it was you who decided it was a first you realy have to start doing your homework on how to identify 1st editions or you will be throwing a lot of your money away. As for well loved! Wife beaters think that there wifes are well loved also. This book was not loved it was ABUSED. Also look at the water damage on the dustjacket another bad sign. :o
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Hey GA Outlaw,

You've got a 4th edition there. You can tell by the fact that the number line starts with a "4".

Anytime you see a number line on the copyright page you want to look for the lowest number and that's which edition/printing you have. You always want to see a #1 in that line.

For earlier books that don't have a number line there are other identifiers. Take some time to look at the 1st edition section of the site, it spells out what to look for to make sure you have a 1st edition, and will show you a picture of the 1st edition copyright page when you click on the cover of the book.