The Wind Through the Keyhole

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
jhanic

The Wind Through the Keyhole

Post by jhanic »

This was posted today on the Stephen King Message Board:
Dear Constant Readers,

At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book (11/22/63, out November 8th), I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again. The major story of Roland and his ka-tet was told, but I realized there was at least one hole in the narrative progression: what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)?

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape. I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland’s old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for awhile. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole. It’s finished, and I expect it will be published next year.

It won’t tell you much that’s new about Roland and his friends, but there’s a lot none of us knew about Mid-World, both past and present. The novel is shorter than DT 2-7, but quite a bit longer than the first volume—call this one DT-4.5. It’s not going to change anybody’s life, but God, I had fun.

Steve King
This was also posted:
Within the next couple of days (maybe today, but that's iffy), we'll be putting up a poll for fans to tell us who they might like to illustrate the book. There will be a few new names there as well.
No publisher has been announced. Publication date is 2012.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: The Wind Through the Keyhole

Post by TheCollector »

Thanks John,

As I was reading it I thought to myself 4.5? And there it was at the bottom of the post. I wonder if DMG is going to label it as such or not? (I'm making the not to wild assumption they'll be the ones doing the job)
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Quick question: In not having read part 7 yet, am I going to spoil anything by reading comments about part 8? I am avoiding all threads/messages etc in fear!

Cheers
James

PS sorry to have taken this thread off topic!
Last edited by jimimck on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Short answer, probably not. I don't have a nifty "spoiler" tag like tdt.org but if we can agree to mark anything like that as

===SPOILER===

whatever is the spoiler

===SPOILER===

That should suffice.

It seems like King just wanted to fill in some backstory, much as he did in Wizard and Glass. Because this deals with the time in between books 4 and 5 I don't expect nearly as much tie in to volume 7 as I would volumes 4-5.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Thanks for that Tomas.
On a separate note, I just went to the post office, and picked up the copy of 'Salem's Lot I ordered (1/600 unsigned), that came with your tray case.

OMG!

How amazing is this??? It is still in shrinkwrap, so I haven't even looked at the book itself, but in the 30 minutes I've had it, I'm in love already!
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I also avoid all threads about King's (or anyone else's) upcoming novels. I don't want to know ANYTHING about them until I actually open the book and start to read. However, it's impossible nowadays not to catch glimpses of blurbs, summaries, etc. unfortunately.

The same goes for movies.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

jimimck wrote:Thanks for that Tomas.
On a separate note, I just went to the post office, and picked up the copy of 'Salem's Lot I ordered (1/600 unsigned), that came with your tray case.

OMG!

How amazing is this??? It is still in shrinkwrap, so I haven't even looked at the book itself, but in the 30 minutes I've had it, I'm in love already!
Yeah Centipede does a great Job with their books. I think their production value is unmatched for SK stuff...The case looks nice too :mrgreen:

Did you get the seperate pictures with the book? If not Betts has them in stock right now. The case holds them nicely.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I'd like to add to what The Collector said--if you don't have them, get those extra prints. They are really neat!

John
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Thanks for the heads up guys. My copy didn't include the prints.
I see Betts has them listed at $125. Do you feel that is a fair price?

Cheers
James
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

jimimck wrote:Thanks for the heads up guys. My copy didn't include the prints.
I see Betts has them listed at $125. Do you feel that is a fair price?

Cheers
James
Considering the rarity, I do feel it's a fair price. Otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it :D Although I would hope the shipping doesn't add to much. I'd ask if shipping could be included as see what happens. My guess is you'll meet somewhere in the middle.