King accused of plagiarism

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
Royalecheese

King accused of plagiarism

Post by Royalecheese »

Legal filing:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/0 ... enKing.pdf

When something like this pops up I usually look at it as nothing more than a discouraged writer trying to make a name for himself or a run of the mill psycho looking for a way to meet King. I am not a lawyer, but out of all the previous nuttiness in the legal world involving King, this one may have some legs.

Author's Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Kellers-Den-Rod-M ... 90&sr=1-11
lophophoras

Re: King accused of plagiarism

Post by lophophoras »

I am sure there is a good explanation. I seriously doubt that King would have any reason to steal ideas from anyone.

Hell, he probably wrote Duma back the 90s anyway and just held onto it until he needed a book to publish.
Royalecheese

Post by Royalecheese »

I don't put much worth into the suit either. Like you said, why does King have to steal from another? The guy has written more books than most authors could string together over 10 lifetimes.

While many of the similarities are pretty contrived; if you look at the documentation starting on page 5 and going through page 22 there are some striking coincidences between the two works. That is what I find interesting.

Suing King because you had a dream as a child about being bitten by a rabid dog is one thing. Being an author with names, places and events matching another author's published work is another thing all together.

If nothing else, it might be a good way to get a book signed for those in Atlanta if King comes to testify. ;)
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

That's interesting, in absence of a new novel from SK I printed this out and will give it a read this weekend.

I imagine that this is pretty standard for SK, the more famous you are the more people come out of the woodwork looking for money. Plenty of people come up with the same idea independently of each other, take the telephone for example that had two patent seekers show up within an hour of each other.
lophophoras

Post by lophophoras »

Royalecheese wrote:If nothing else, it might be a good way to get a book signed for those in Atlanta if King comes to testify. ;)
;)

Good point. That's closer to me than the rest of the east coast. I may have to make a raod trip if so. LOL...
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I seriously doubt King will ever have to testify. I think this guy is just looking for a settlement. I hope he doesn't get it.

John