Proof Query

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
jimimck

Proof Query

Post by jimimck »

Hi team,

If any of you have read some of my previous posts, you may have gathered I'm pretty much just a 1st edition and Gift edition collector. The only S/L I (will) have is Blockade Billy.

My query is in regard to proof copies, as I gather these are very collectable for obvious reasons.

The question I have is, are proof copies often different at all from the final publication? I have never read a proof, but it seems to me they may be different from the final edition? if so, are they often very different? or are they usually a fair representation of the final story?

Just curious, as I'm starting to consider collecting these, but am more interested if they are worth reading for a different view point than the regular edition.

Thanks

James
jhanic

Re: Proof Query

Post by jhanic »

The text of most proofs are very similar if not identical to the finished product. There are some exceptions to this, but they are very few. Of course, proofs are in (usually) a trade-paperback size format with little or no cover art. They do not contain any interior illustrations.

The ones that differ from the finished product are usually considered "manuscript proofs" (they are usually 8.5"x11"), such as this:

And one of the pages, with corrections:

Most proofs do NOT contain these corrections.

Only a few editions have issued manuscript proofs, such as Misery, Desperation, The Regulators, etc.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

John,

I'm guessing the manuscript proofs are generally more valuable that a typical proof? (print run being equal) Because you get to see some of the corrections/suggestions?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Yeah, the manuscript proofs are generally done in VERY limited quantities (I've heard less than 15 of each). Cost is significantly higher for these than many of the other proofs.

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

My PET SEMETARY manuscript copy also has hand corrections in it, in case anyone's interested.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I had forgotten about that one.

John
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Thanks guys, that gives me a better understanding.

Not sure if I should take the leap in that direction for my collection or not. Already have more on my wish list than I'd like lol.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

A while ago I wrote an article about collecting King proofs for the book collecting site Hyraxia. They recently changed their formats, so the pictures I included do not show up, but here's the address of the article:

http://www.hyraxia.com/rare-books/2022/ ... #more-2022

John
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Thanks John, a lot of useful information.

Cheers