Salem's Lot - Query about a version available for purchase

Are you looking for a specific number or book? Maybe you have a book someone is looking for... post it here! If you'd like to advertize your own ebay listings here as well that would be fine, just don't spam the boards.
Forum rules
- Only members can see and post to this Forum

- I am providing a forum for communication I but do not endorse, nor can I be responsible for anything bought or sold via this forum.

- If abuse is reported I will take whatever action I see fit, including banning of the user account.
jimimck

Salem's Lot - Query about a version available for purchase

Post by jimimck »

Hi team,
I was hoping to get an indication if the following version of Salem's Lot would be worth picking up? A local seller has it available, but I'm not really sure if it would be worth adding to the collection or not? The following is his description of the book:

"This hardback edition was published in 1975 by the Doubleday Book Club and is an exact reproduction of the original Doubleday first edition, third state printing (which lists Father Callahan on the inside dust jacket and not Father Cody). While not as rare as the original editions, it still has its place in the collector's market for Stephen King.

Book Description: Doubleday, New York, 1975. Hardcover. Book Condition: Near Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: Very Good. Bookclub edition.

The pages are clean and unmarked with no signs of fading or speckling. The binding is still solid. The only 'flaw' is that the base of the spine has a minor 'ding'. The dj has a half inch tear on the lower back cover but is not immediately noticeable. In fact it was only when I removed the dj to examine it did I see it. There is very minor scuffing on the front and back covers and the spine is slightly faded. There are also a couple of minor nicks at the top of the spine"

He is asking $20USD equivalent
Any thoughts?

Thanks, James.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Re: Salem's Lot - Query about a version available for purchase

Post by jhanic »

James, as a book club edition, it's worth no more than about $10, given the condition. Unfortunately there's no way of telling how old the book really is. I'd offer the seller $10 or $15. I'd consider it a reading copy.

John
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Thanks John.

I've got a decent reading copy, so will give it a miss.

Cheers
James
Allowance of Sin

Post by Allowance of Sin »

I actually had one of these that I picked up for 5 bucks in a local used book store. I ended up throwing it on eBay awhile back and sold it for around 25 or so. The nice thing about these particular book club editions is that they are full size, so I had bought them as reading copies/place holders.

Interesting side story, I bought 3 of these bookclub editions at the same time, Salem's Lot, Carrie and Different Seasons. I get home and notice that it looks like something is stuck inside Different Seasons so I open it up to find an envelope. Inside the envelope were 2 football cards from the late eighties or early nineties (can't remember) and it ended up that they were worth about 30 bucks each. Not being a sports fan I just threw them up on eBay and made a nice little profit.

Book club editions. Not always bad. ;)
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

Was it Football Season when you bought DIFFERENT SEASONS or was it a different season, like baseball season? Seems like one of the Fates is playing around with you. Maybe not a bad thing.