I almost hate to put this up but...

Are you looking for a specific number or book? Maybe you have a book someone is looking for... post it here! If you'd like to advertize your own ebay listings here as well that would be fine, just don't spam the boards.
Forum rules
- Only members can see and post to this Forum

- I am providing a forum for communication I but do not endorse, nor can I be responsible for anything bought or sold via this forum.

- If abuse is reported I will take whatever action I see fit, including banning of the user account.
TheCollector
Site Admin

I almost hate to put this up but...

Post by TheCollector »

Thanks to Lilja's Library for the post.

Frankly, $150 for a signed bookplate... and to help a candidate most people know nothing about. Well it seems a bit pricey to me. But I don't make the news, just report it :) here you go

----------------------

King goes into politics and gives you the chance to get a signed bookplates. Here is a mail he sent out to the subscribers of his news list:

This November, millions of Americans will go to the polls and be given a clear choice – to continue along the path we have taken for the past eight years or to make drastic changes in how we approach the challenges the future holds for our country.

I have been amazed by the incredible energy and passion that voters have shown, turning out across the country in record numbers to demand change.

Here in Maine, we are lucky to have a candidate that understands the kinds of changes we need to move forward. My friend, Congressman Tom Allen, is running for the U.S. Senate. He is committed to expanding opportunities for the middle class, providing affordable health care coverage to all Americans, and responsibly bringing our troops home from Iraq.

I don’t usually do large book signings or events, but this time I’m making an exception because the stakes are so high. We HAVE to change the way the government has been doing business for the last eight years, and I’m doing all I can to help Tom win in November. That’s why I am going to sign 500 bookplates that I will send to the first 500 people who give $150 or more to Tom’s campaign, before June 30th.

Click hereto give $150, $250, or $500 to help Tom win in November and receive a signed bookplate.

I know that many of you were disappointed when we decided to postpone our planned event in Maine with John Grisham, Tess Gerritsen, and me but we are confident that it will be rescheduled for the fall. When we have more information, we will be sure to let you know.

In the meantime, please do all you can to help Tom’s campaign. In order to make the changes we need, even with a Democratic President, we will need at least 57 Democratic Senators. With your help, Tom Allen will be one of them.

Click here to give $150, $250, or $500 to help Tom win in November and receive a signed bookplate.

Thank you for your continued support for Tom’s campaign.

Sincerely,

Stephen King

P.S.
Contributions or gifts to Tom Allen for Senate are not tax deductible.

Federal law requires us to use our best efforts to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation and name of employer of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 in an election cycle.
Trashcan Man

Re: I almost hate to put this up but...

Post by Trashcan Man »

we advise our clients against buying 1st editions with signed bookplates laid in. This is an attempt to artificially inflate the value of the book without actually having the author place his signature directly into the book.
This is the reason you will not find any "signed bookplate" books in our store. I feel they are sub-par, and do not make good investments. If you are going to spend the money, might as well buy something original and authentic, that the author has personally signed. That's your best bet.

With regards to $150 for a signed bookplate, that is a bit much. Maybe there is a better way to raise funds for this. Perhaps King should sign a handful of 1st Editions and sell them for 200-300 each.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Agreed. A reminder, too, that you have to be a US citizen to contribute to a US political campaign.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

A reminder, too, that you have to be a US citizen to contribute to a US political campaign
Huh, makes sense now that you mention it; but I didn't know that. I don't donate to political parties generally but I never remember anyone asking me to prove citizenship when asking for my $$
Trashcan Man

Post by Trashcan Man »

jhanic wrote:Agreed. A reminder, too, that you have to be a US citizen to contribute to a US political campaign.

John
I highly doubt whether anyone checks the status of your citizenship before taking your money.

:)
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Trashcan Man wrote: I highly doubt whether anyone checks the status of your citizenship before taking your money.
:)
You'd be surprised. As it is actually illegal to accept money from non US citizens, the opposing political parties spend a lot of time sifting through these donations to try and find any irregularities.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

So did anyone make the donation to buy a bookplate?