Avoiding plots of upcoming books

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
deener555

Avoiding plots of upcoming books

Post by deener555 »

Just wondering if anyone else shares my desire to NOT know the plot of a book before I start to read it. It seems like most people are dying to know what their favorite author’s next book will be about, whereas I prefer to open a book without having the slightest idea of where it’s going to take me. With so much publicity and information available via the Internet, it’s very hard to avoid knowing the plot long before a book is ever published. Avoiding the plot of an upcoming Stephen King book is really tough to do. I managed to read Duma Key, It, & Lisey’s Story without having the slightest idea what the stories were going to be about. Reading Salem’s Lot without knowing there were vampires involved would have been incredible, but no such luck. (I hope I didn’t just spoil the plot for anyone.) Anyone else out there that purposely avoids learning what an upcoming book is going to be about?
jhanic

Re: Avoiding plots of upcoming books

Post by jhanic »

I think that's true of most people. I try to avoid spoilers of any sort in a book that I haven't yet read. I'll even go so far as to avoid reading the wording on the dust jacket if I can.

With King's works, however, especially his older works, it's virtually impossible to live in our society and avoid all mention of his plots, etc., due mainly to his great popularity.

John
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

I'm the same, in that I'll try and avoid reading what it's about. I see many sites discussing what each story in Full Dark, No Stars is about, and so I'm thankful to have got this far along without knowing anything about them.

My biggest problem is trying to avoid spoiling the Dark Tower conclusion. I still have number 7 to read and am scared with all this talk about upcoming movies/TV shows I'm gonna spoil something big. I've deliberately been holding off on reading it, to kinda extend the enjoyment of the story. Plus I don't have many of King's classics left to ready, so have been trying to make them last :)
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

jimimck wrote: My biggest problem is trying to avoid spoiling the Dark Tower conclusion. I still have number 7 to read
They all die in the end!
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I agree. We are constantly bombarded with previews, reviews and discussions of upcoming books, movies and TV shows, and I avoid all of it like the plague until I've seen or read the movie or book. I never was able to understand why anyone would want to know anything except the very basic facts (such as the author) before reading a book. It takes all the fun, suspense and excitement out of it. The same applies to movies. I hate sitting through the 7 or 8 trailers they show, which give away every key element and line of dialog in the upcoming movie. And every time I go late to avoid the trailers, it seems the movie has already started! They should show the previews when the movie's over for anyone who wants to see them.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Hmm well I avoid the spoilers but I like to have a general idea of what the book is about.

Sure for some authors or series it dosen't matter (to much) because chances are I'll read it anyway but especially when checking out new authors or series I always read the description on the back.

I mean... what if King decided to write his next book as a self help book about how to navigate thru Maine City hall to get a zoning variance on adding a extra room onto your house...wouldn't you be unhappy you didn't at least have an idea this wasn't a typical SK story before you bought it?
deener555

Post by deener555 »

"...about how to navigate thru Maine City hall to get a zoning variance on adding a extra room onto your house..."

Based on my experiences trying to navigate through Chicago City Hall, that actually sounds like the perfect plot for a frightening Stephen King story!
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I'm sure King COULD write an interesting story about City Hall, and no, I would NOT want to know about it before I started the story or novel. Kurt Vonnegut wrote an essay-story about going to the post office and mailing a letter, which I found to be one of the most fascinating things I've ever read. I also remember a non-fiction piece by King where he detailed a lunch meeting at which he had an upset stomach which was both frightening and extremely funny at the same time. So my position on not reading blurbs or synopsis (what's the plural of synopsis anyway?) stands.
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:
jimimck wrote: My biggest problem is trying to avoid spoiling the Dark Tower conclusion. I still have number 7 to read
They all die in the end!
I'm gonna assume this is a joke :?:
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

jimimck wrote:
Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:
They all die in the end!
I'm gonna assume this is a joke :?:
Yes. It's one of the stock answers when someone ask you what a book is about. The other one is: "The Butler Did It".