Pet Cemetery DJ

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Lurker

Re: Ask and ye shall recieve

Post by Lurker »

In trying to 1. get all the King "stuff" in one room and 2. organize it; it has started to dawn on me about variant DJ's. I only recently learned of the Insomina variant - and I'm betting there may be more than the few I know about (Pet Sem; Tommyknockers;UTD.) I did notice in checking the 1st editions section both of the Insomina variants are shown - is it possible to show all the others? I'd like to know if and what I may be missing...
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

Pet Sematary has two dust wrappers? I never heard of this.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Well, let me explain what I have. I have both the "in 1982" and "in 1983" DJ's. The spines and price are different -but the books are both first editions.
So unless the 1983 DJ is really suppose to be on a second edition - I just figured it was variant DJ on the first edition. Sorta like I read there are three variants for Salem's Lot? Am I way out in left field?
lophophoras

Post by lophophoras »

The info I have about Pet Sematary is that both dust jackets should have the $15.95 price.
ur2ndbiggestfan

My Pet Sematary (a 1st/1st) has "in 1982" and is priced $15.95. I never heard of the "in 1983" jacket and find this very interesting.

Salems 'Lot has 3 dust jackets:
The first is priced $8.95 with the "Father Cody" error on the inside flap.
The second is the same as the first, but price-clipped and a $7.95 sticker (EDIT - stamp, not a sticker!) affixed to the jacket.
The third is priced $7.95 with the error fixed as "Father Callahan.
I only have the first one, which is kind of rare.
Last edited by ur2ndbiggestfan on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

The 1982 jacket is the first state, the 1983 is the second state. I bought the book the day it came out and mine has the 1982 date. I've never been too motivated to get the other. I don't know which is more scarce.

Are you sure you have the $8.95 jacket? That one is ultra-rare. The second one, with the price-clipped, has the $7.95 price printed on it, not a sticker. I have one of each of the last two.

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

Sorry about the mis-information about the sticker vs the printed price on the 2nd state SL dust jacket. Way back when I bought my first state (yes I'm sure it's a first) I figured the price-clipped one would be easy to get and I'd buy it later. That's the same mistake I've made many times since!

I also bought Pet Sematary within 3 days of it's release. I think I may pursue that 2nd state jacket though, just for the heck of it. Another question - Is the 2nd state dust jacket on the 1st or 2nd printing?
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Well, that answers my question. I bought mine with the 1982 jacket when it came out - I must have picked up the other one at used bookstore, but thanks to you guys, I know it's not the "second" or "variant" DJ - the price is 19.95 altho the book itself is a first - so I guess I too will be looking for the other.

Now, about Bag of Bones...just kidding!
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

ur2ndbiggestfan wrote: Another question - Is the 2nd state dust jacket on the 1st or 2nd printing?
It's on the 1st printing, and all subsequent printings. Only the DJ changed, due to the mistake of printing 1982 for "Caretakers".
TheCollector
Site Admin

Pet Cemetery DJ

Post by TheCollector »

MOVED from the tech support section to here.