Blockade Billy - New SK Novella from CD

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Blockade Billy - New SK Novella from CD

Post by TheCollector »

140dave wrote:Drawing was done yesterday, (Wed 4/14) "winners" had 24 hrs to purchase copies or they will be released. Email is below:

Here is the SECRET page on our website to place your order:

Please do not share that link with anyone. Orders from non-winners will be
canceled, less a processing fee.

Canceled minus a processing fee? Now that's a weird inclusion.

On a related note $16.95 for a slipcase is a good price (assuming it's not just a blank grey cloth over grey chipboard) If CD is making one I won't, unless I get a lot of requests to do so.
ELazansky

Post by ELazansky »

TheCollector wrote:
140dave wrote:Drawing was done yesterday, (Wed 4/14) "winners" had 24 hrs to purchase copies or they will be released. Email is below:

Here is the SECRET page on our website to place your order:

Please do not share that link with anyone. Orders from non-winners will be
canceled, less a processing fee.

Canceled minus a processing fee? Now that's a weird inclusion.

On a related note $16.95 for a slipcase is a good price (assuming it's not just a blank grey cloth over grey chipboard) If CD is making one I won't, unless I get a lot of requests to do so.
There was a post on TDT.com that asked if you were doing one. I guess people are still waiting on CD's UTD slipcase, so who knows when the BB case will be ready.
lophophoras

Post by lophophoras »

It would be really cool if you did decide to make and sell a slipcase for BB Tomas. I'd certainly purchase one or two.

According the CD, they are only offering the chance to purchase their slipcase for a limited time. And with their track record, who knows when it will actually be made and shipped to buyers....
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Hi guys, I'm quite new to collecting SK, and this limited edition of Blockade Billy is my first limited purchase.
I notice a few comments about CD and their reliability. Is it something I need to worry about when ordering from them? do they have a history of not coming through? or are they just a little late on getting orders out sometimes?
I've ordered a couple of trade editions, two splipcases to go with them, plus was lucky enough to get a limited edition too.

Cheers
James
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

James, CD has a history of taking orders (and charging you) for items that are years away from being published. One blatant example is the volume Legacies, which was originally supposed to come out in 1999. It still has to make its appearance (I have a proof that's copyright 2000). Another is the lettered edition of Secretary of Dreams volume 1. It still has to make its appearance. Secretary of Dreams volume 2 was announced back in 2007 (I ordered my copy in July, 2007) and I'm still waiting. There are many other examples.

You are at your safest if you stick to ordering items that have already been published. I don't stick to this strictly myself (I also have ordered the Blockade Billy "trade" first from them and signed limited from Lonely Roads Publisher, which is an off-shoot of CD) but I regret having to do so. My obsession is sometimes a pain.

John
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Lilja (http://liljas-library.com/) :
Today Hodder & Stoughton announces that they will publish a UK edition of Blockade Billy. Here is the press release:

NEW NOVELLA FROM STEPHEN KING BOUGHT BY HODDER & STOUGHTON FOR FATHER’S DAY

An explosion of interest across the world in King’s novella, BLOCKADE BILLY, has prompted Philippa Pride, King’s UK editor, to step up to the plate and acquire for Hodder & Stoughton, from Chuck Verrill in the States, UK and Commonwealth rights to the publication – which includes a bonus story, the chilling MORALITY. The story of BLOCKADE BILLY is the baseball story that King has long been asked to write by his fans: ‘Ask no more; this is it,’ King Says. ‘I love old-school baseball, and I also love the way people who’ve spent a lifetime in the game talk about it. I tried to combine those things in a story of suspense.’ The novella tells the story of William Blakely, unknown baseball player for the New Jersey Titans, whose baseball days in the late 50s are relayed in first person narrative to Stephen King by George ‘Granny’ Grantham, who coached third base at the time. Pride commented: ‘It’s another gripping, tale from the master: how does he captivate you so completely from page one and hold you in his brilliantly powerful and dark grip until the last page? He’s just got that inimitable X factor, hasn’t he?’

Hodder will publish in hardback, on 25 May 2010, at £9.99.
An audio version of the book will also be available.
John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

lophophoras wrote:It would be really cool if you did decide to make and sell a slipcase for BB Tomas. I'd certainly purchase one or two.

According the CD, they are only offering the chance to purchase their slipcase for a limited time. And with their track record, who knows when it will actually be made and shipped to buyers....
That's a very interesting point...can anyone that ordered the Cemetery Dance slipcase for Under the Dome tell me if they received theirs? When it was annouced they were supposedly all ready to go and would hit their bindery "immediately"....Last time I asked this question a couple months ago nothing had been delivered.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

I am surprised - book was in mailbox this morning.
For now I think I'll leave the shrink wrap on - maybe someone will come up with a slipcover for the book that would also have a inset or something to display the card...
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I also got mine today. (Shock! I can't remember a time when CD was even on-time with one of their publications, let alone early!) I've ordered one of the slipcases from CD, so I'm leaving my copy in the shrinkwrap until the slipcase shows up. I've read the ARC, so I'm haven't missed the story. I'll be ordering one of the Scribner copies when they come out, so I'll use that as my reading copy anyway.

John
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Here's an interesting little interview with Chizmar about Blockade Billy. A couple of times I just rolled my eyes...
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-0 ... rd-chizmar