What's the real deal with shrink-wrap?

Any questions related to limited editions
ur2ndbiggestfan

Re: What's the real deal with shrink-wrap?

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

What's to prevent anyone from re-shrinkwrapping a book and claiming it is in the original shrinkwrap? Who would know? Except possibly the new book smell would be missing.
I have never had any problems with shrinkwrap. The oldest book I still have wrapped is the signed WIZARD AND GLASS, and it LOOKS ok. And I just unwrapped the signed SONG OF SUSANNAH (god I hated that book!) to check the signature. etc., and it was fine, no shrikwrap damage whatsoever.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I've kept two books in shrinkwrap--mainly because the shrinkwrap has "stickers" (I don't know a better word) on it that would be destroyed if the shrinkwrap is removed. They are both UK special editions--the special edition of Just After Sunset and the s/l Under the Dome. I also have copies of each that I HAVE removed from the shrinkwrap.

John
Royalecheese

Post by Royalecheese »

I'll take a page from George Beahm and his book "The Stephen King Companion." This is where I first learned of some of the pitfalls of collecting: Book tagging (name of owner inside), store tagging (price stickers that leave glue behind), clipping, grades, and shrink-wrap.

Beahm's contention is shrink-wrap is for protection of the cover during shipping only. I've always accepted that to be gospel. But who knows for sure? I've never seen "proof" there is some evil lurking in shrink-wrap and I've never had a problem with it on the few I've had for many years before hearing about what shrink wrap can (or maybe can't) do. One thing I know for certain is shrink-wrap expands and contracts from heat and cold, and moisture can get in if there's the slightest tear in the material, and as mentioned earlier it is not acid neutral.

I'm paying good money for a work of art. Would I leave an expensive painting next to a window if the sun could bleach it? Nope. I also wouldn't take a chance that something may (or may not) happen to my collection because I felt the need to hermetically seal my books away in flimsy and chemically treated sheets of plastic when tested and proven archival covers are available.

I'm not slamming anyone deciding to leave his or her books in wrap since it's obvious there is no real consensus, but why take the chance?
ChristineB

Post by ChristineB »

I have to say I have seen what shrinkwrap can do after being on a book with a DJ over many years. I bought a book (sorry don't remember the book at the moment) with shrinkwrap on it and took it off, it proceeded to remove some of the color of the DJ with it when I removed it. Now, I have to say, if I had not seen the impression of the DJ on the shrinkwrap I would not have been able to tell from the DJ that anything had happened, but I did know and my heart sank when it happened.

I also know that plastic doesn't breath. To this end all shrinkwrap comes off my books immediately due to me not having a temperature and humidity controled room for my books. Even if the shrinkwrap has no holes in it the moisture in the shrinkwrap over time will be effected by temp changes around it. In reality is that going to make that much of a difference over my life span? Most likely not, but why take the chance.

The other reason to remove the shrinkwrap (on new books anyway) has become extremely evident with this last SK book. Many of the "special US editions" of this book had damage from binding in them, the tipped in page was not done correctly etc. Due to the printing and binding of books being less precise these days all my new books are examend for damage when I get them.

Just my opinions.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

On the other hand, I have record albums from the 70s which I never took the shrinkwrap from. I just slit the edge so I could take the LP out. None of the album covers have suffered any damage from the shrink wrap. But I don't know if this shrink-wrap is the same as the wrap they use on books.
Royalecheese

Post by Royalecheese »

ur2ndbiggestfan wrote:On the other hand, I have record albums from the 70s which I never took the shrinkwrap from. I just slit the edge so I could take the LP out. None of the album covers have suffered any damage from the shrink wrap. But I don't know if this shrink-wrap is the same as the wrap they use on books.
Lot's of imports I bought came in several versions of plastic... I've seen everything from grainy to bulky, opaque, and micro-thin. And many of those that came that way still have that plastic on to this day. And don't you just miss the artwork compared to tiny CDs? God, before too much longer CDs will be as anachronistic as talking about "albums."

Anyway, I'm going to do an end around on your post and suggest it doesn't matter if the plastic is the same or not. I'm going with the thought that there's a difference in the material used for album sleeves and dust jackets that may make book dust jackets more susceptible to damage from the plastic since album sleeves are more hardy and less prone to damage over time. Which holds up better, flimsy cardboard or flimsy treated paper? I'm going to say the cardboard album sleeves.

/Not being a smart-ass. I'm just following through since you got me thinking.
nafks

Post by nafks »

fleggett wrote:
nafks wrote:I do the best of both worlds - I bought a shrink wrap machine (around $40) and 100 shrink wrap bags ($20). Now I can open to verify signature and number then reshrinkwrap. Works perfectly!!!!!
Which machine and supplies did you purchase? $60 is cheap enough to invest in such a system if it works well enough to completely enclose the book while looking halfway professional. I take it your gear doesn't require a heat gun?
Sorry, missed your question! Bought both machine and bags off ebay. Hair dryer on high is all you need.