Two different Salem's Lot DJ's?

Any questions related to limited editions
TheCollector
Site Admin

Two different Salem's Lot DJ's?

Post by TheCollector »

Hey folks,

I had someone email me with a question and I don't have a good answer for the guy, perhaps someone here knows.

==============
I am trying to find out why the color of writing on the spine of the one the first edition has a different from the other and if that makes a difference in the value of the book? Both books have all first edition points Q37, $7.95, Father Cody and First Edition on the title page. Thank you for your time
==============

See the pic below, the spine on one shows white and orange (typical) the other is just white, (although the poster originally said white and greeen, but I just see white) According to the e-mail they're both 3rd edition states of the 1st ed DJ.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Re: Two different Salem's Lot DJ's?

Post by jhanic »

I just checked both my second and third state dust jackets and both have the orange color. This color is also on the front of each. If the "colorless" one continues this on the front of the dust jacket, I would say it's a printing error. If it's just on the spine, I'd say it may be sun fading.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

It's orange on the front, only the spine is affected. I considered sun fading, but shouldn't that have faded the entire spine (black as well as orange)?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I'd say so too, but maybe different inks react differently. I don't really know (and I'm sure not going to experiment! :P ). I do know that I've never seen the dust jacket without the orange color before, though. Strange.

John
SkippyD023

Post by SkippyD023 »

My first thought was fading as well. I have seen this on other books where only certain colors are faded and the rest of the colors in the DJ look fine or just slightly lighter.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

You have answered your own question. Only the spine is affected, then it is most certainly UV fading.

I have several older books which have no reds left on them at all on the spines, but every other color is fine.
TheCollector wrote:It's orange on the front, only the spine is affected. I considered sun fading, but shouldn't that have faded the entire spine (black as well as orange)?