dust jackets

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
sweepe

dust jackets

Post by sweepe »

hi quick question say if I am able to find aexcelllent copy of a king novel but the dust jacket is soso shape [torn] would it devalue it if I find a good cover from a later print assuming the price ect matches
jhanic

Re: dust jackets

Post by jhanic »

I'd say it depends on the book. Usually, if a book is a first edition and so is the dust jacket, that has the most value. If the dust jacket is worn and you can replace it with an IDENTICAL one, I don't see a problem. Just be sure the two jackets are truely identical.

John
sweepe

Post by sweepe »

Thanks for the input I am trying to find a decent copy of Different Seasons but they are quit high priced I think I found one but the cover has small tears in it I thought if I got that one then when a better cover should up grab it and do a switch
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Good luck! If I remember correctly, there were about 200,000 copies of the first edition, first printing, so it's not one of the most common ones, but there should be a few out there.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

One thing I would always make sure of when buying a book is that the DJ in question has a price listed on it....even if the copyright page indicates a 1st edition.

Some people, either due to ignorance or just because they want to put one over on you replace a torn 1st edition DJ with a Book Club edition.

On the surface it can make sense, here's a $5 book with a great looking DJ, wouldn't it look good as a replacment to your 1st edition which would be perfect if you could just get a better DJ for it?

Nice try.... but if a BC book is worthless the DJ is just as worthless. Putting a BC DJ on your 1st edition will lower the value not increase it.
sweepe

Post by sweepe »

thanks for the info I have seen good buys in the past but they turn out to be book club editions guess the best thing is to keep looking for a good copy
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

As The Collector says, make sure the one you get has the proper price (for the first edition Different Seasons, it's $16.95) on it. See the 1st Editions button on the left.

John
batsker

Post by batsker »

Another option is to check with the publisher to see if you can order replacement DJs. They are identical, new, and they are often cheaper than a replacement book. For example, Donald M. Grant has many DJs available on their website.
GregH

Post by GregH »

I have 2 different Different Seasons books that I have found. Both have $16.95 on the dust jacket. On both the CP says "First Published in 1982 by Viking Press" but one has a number line at the very bottom of the page showing it is a second printing, while the other one has no numberline. Also on the one with the numberline the words Different Seasons are written on the spine of the book in blue where as the other book Different Seasons is written in gold. Anyone know what editions I have?

Thanks,
Greg
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Hi Greg,

Look for Viking's original Address on the copyright page and separately on the dustjacket. You should see 625 Madison Avenue on both. If you see that you would have a 1st edition.