Christmas Wish List

Want to post something else SK related that doesn't fit into an existing category? Do it here.
Post Reply
ELazansky
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:23 am
Karma: 0

Christmas Wish List

Post by ELazansky » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:11 pm

So with Christmas two weeks away, I wonder what SK merchandise everyone is hoping that Santa will bring. As a new collector of less than two months, I told Santa to get me anything still available from Grant, like Little Sisters, Desperation, etc. Have to start small before I begin shelling out 1000.00 for one book.

Eric



User avatar
TheCollector
Site Admin
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:00 pm
Karma: 7
Location: West Coast
Contact:

Re: Christmas Wish List

Post by TheCollector » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi Eric,

You live in exiting times, with many SK books at their lowest prices in years! A great time to get in.

-------------------
My Art of Darkeness book showed up last week, and let me say it's pretty much the nicest looking, great value for the money item I've seen in a long time. I was floored.

Just think about how much work had to go in hunting down the 15 artists, agreeing to licence out their work and then reproducing the photos, many of them larger then then what made it in/on the original book!... No crappy scans either everything is crystal clear.

Nothing's perfect though, my two main gripes about the book are:

a) It can be hard to find the right picture description to go with the photo, sometimes it comes after the pic, sometimes pages before, a little weird.

b) Phil Hale's artwork was present, but the 1st edition Gunslinger artwork, which I was REALY REALY looking forward to was only partially shown - and in smaller then original size.

I'm also waiting for the UK limited edition of Under the Dome to arrive.

ELazansky
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:23 am
Karma: 0

Re: Christmas Wish List

Post by ELazansky » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:42 pm

TheCollector wrote:Hi Eric,

You live in exiting times, with many SK books at their lowest prices in years! A great time to get in.

-------------------
My Art of Darkeness book showed up last week, and let me say it's pretty much the nicest looking, great value for the money item I've seen in a long time. I was floored.

Just think about how much work had to go in hunting down the 15 artists, agreeing to licence out their work and then reproducing the photos, many of them larger then then what made it in/on the original book!... No crappy scans either everything is crystal clear.

Nothing's perfect though, my two main gripes about the book are:

a) It can be hard to find the right picture description to go with the photo, sometimes it comes after the pic, sometimes pages before, a little weird.

b) Phil Hale's artwork was present, but the 1st edition Gunslinger artwork, which I was REALY REALY looking forward to was only partially shown - and in smaller then original size.

I'm also waiting for the UK limited edition of Under the Dome to arrive.
I saw that book. It looks totally awesome. I'd love to get it, but I'd rather start building my SK-authored books first. I got my UK signed UTD book this week, and I also picked up a sealed Wizards and Glass 1st for $60, which according to your prices was a great deal. I figured on work on mostly books-in-print first and then pick up some of the pricier books as funds permit.

deener555
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:37 pm
Karma: 0

Re: Christmas Wish List

Post by deener555 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:44 pm

I just ordered (for myself) one of the $75 gift edition copies of Insomnia signed by Phil Hale from Donald M. Grant as mentioned on the "The Collector" home page. While reading the Dark Tower books over the years, I have been meaning to reread Insomnia, and finally got around to doing so last month. I've found that purchasing gifts like this for myself, wrapping them up with a tag stating "To: Bob From: Bob" ensures that I get at least one gift under the tree that I really, really love. My wife and kids are great a picking out new shirts, but they can't be depended upon to purchase a nice Stephen King book. Also, my kids think a gift to myself is funny and my wife doesn't need the extra Christmas stress of knowing how much a nice book can cost. Ironically I ordered Insomnia while goofing off on the computer in the middle of the night because I couldn't get to sleep.

ELazansky
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:23 am
Karma: 0

Re: Christmas Wish List

Post by ELazansky » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:14 am

deener555 wrote:I just ordered (for myself) one of the $75 gift edition copies of Insomnia signed by Phil Hale from Donald M. Grant as mentioned on the "The Collector" home page. While reading the Dark Tower books over the years, I have been meaning to reread Insomnia, and finally got around to doing so last month. I've found that purchasing gifts like this for myself, wrapping them up with a tag stating "To: Bob From: Bob" ensures that I get at least one gift under the tree that I really, really love. My wife and kids are great a picking out new shirts, but they can't be depended upon to purchase a nice Stephen King book. Also, my kids think a gift to myself is funny and my wife doesn't need the extra Christmas stress of knowing how much a nice book can cost. Ironically I ordered Insomnia while goofing off on the computer in the middle of the night because I couldn't get to sleep.
I got my regular version of Insomnia a few weeks before I saw the newsletter. Would have been nice to have it signed, but I can live without it.

I ordered my own Christmas present - the UK signed Under the Dome. No way could I have waited until Christmas to open that one.

surly
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 am
Karma: 0
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: Christmas Wish List

Post by surly » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:11 pm

I can't stop thinking about the Asbestos Firestarter on ebay. It's definitely top of my Christmas list.

The price is higher than it has sold for in the recent past but it seems the price is firm. If, and this is a really big IF, you had the $20K would you get it or hold out for another to come on the market by next Christmas and hope for a lower price?

It's fun to dream.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
Posts: 454
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:27 am
Karma: 6

Re: Christmas Wish List

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:54 pm

surly wrote:I can't stop thinking about the Asbestos Firestarter on ebay. It's definitely top of my Christmas list.

The price is higher than it has sold for in the recent past but it seems the price is firm. If, and this is a really big IF, you had the $20K would you get it or hold out for another to come on the market by next Christmas and hope for a lower price?

It's fun to dream.
That's the 3rd one for sale this year, and by far the most expensive.

There will be a few more cheaper ones next year as the recession starts to bite and lots of people lose their jobs.

User avatar
TheCollector
Site Admin
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:00 pm
Karma: 7
Location: West Coast
Contact:

Re: Christmas Wish List

Post by TheCollector » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 am

Mr. Rabbit Trick wrote:
That's the 3rd one for sale this year, and by far the most expensive.

There will be a few more cheaper ones next year as the recession starts to bite and lots of people lose their jobs.[/quote]

I hate to say it, but that's probably right.... I don't think as much about the Job part, we're already at over 10% unemployment and I don't think we're going to go much higher; but people are expecting the jobs to be slow in returning, creating pressure to sell as unemployment benefits end.

jhanic
Moderator
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:08 pm
Karma: 5
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Christmas Wish List

Post by jhanic » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:20 am

I've been around long enough to know not to try to outguess the economy. My gut feel is that the people who own the true rarities, such as the asbestos Firestarter, may not be in the position wherein they have to sell. These things are scarce enough that trying to say the few people involved may be hurting could very well not be true.

In other words, don't hold your breath waiting for one to show up at a bargain price. :)

John

User avatar
TheCollector
Site Admin
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:00 pm
Karma: 7
Location: West Coast
Contact:

Re: Christmas Wish List

Post by TheCollector » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:32 am

I hear that, but even on the uber rare items, like this asbestos firestarter I don't think it's too much of a guess to think one will show up under 20k.

A bargan rate of under 14k I can't say, but in the 15-17 range? I'm guessing yes.

Post Reply