Shipping a book collection overseas

Want to talk about things other then SK? Post anything else right here.
glenndhowarth

Shipping a book collection overseas

Post by glenndhowarth »

Hi all I am moving from England back to Australia as I have been here for 8 years this is the first time I will have to move the collection and I was wondering the best way to do it. I have some plastic crates which I thought would provide the best protection but the removalists think they might sweat. I could put some breathing holes in them but then they might become suseptable to insects or other things, albeit unlikely - I am assured they wont get wet.

The other option is boxes which obviously offer a bit less protection but then they do breath.

Then comes the question of internal packing. The removalists say they usally don't put any packing in because things like bubble wrap sweat and tissue paper has acid on it. The idea though of not having any padding except for a thin box freaks me out. So I am thinking those packing peanuts might be best.

If anyone has been through this and has any sugestions I would love to here from them.

Thanks
Glenn
jhanic

Re: Shipping a book collection overseas

Post by jhanic »

Hi Glenn,

How are they being shipped--airplane, boat, whatever? If they're going to be in transit for an extended period of time (more than a month) I'd worry about them "breathing", but otherwise, I'd just pack them as securely as possible (each book in a plastic bag designed for books or comic books, lots of peanuts or bubblewrap) and use the sturdiest boxes you can find, whether plastic or cardboard. If you put each volume in its own plastic bag, you should be okay no matter what. You only have to worry about condensation if they are exposed to temperature extremes over a period of time.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I agree the type of transportation is going to play a role here.

While more expensive, I would recommend you send any book worth more then $100-$200 via airmail and purchase insurance for it. I know here in the USA some countries have an insurance limit, if I ship a book to them the insurance company only covers X ammount. You probably want to check and if a similar thing applies from the UK to Australia.
If you put each volume in its own plastic bag, you should be okay no matter what.
http://www.shopbrodart.com used to sell Acid Free Polypropelene bags (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). Those are the clear bags used for comic books, etc. There's probably a UK company that sells a similar product. I'd put the book into an acid free bag and then put plenty of bubble wrap around it.
STEPHEN RODGERS

Post by STEPHEN RODGERS »

IF they are going by air then there is no worry but by sea then you need good cushioning and breathability.
I would try those small balls of polystyrene[ hope thats spelled right].
Just wrap each book in a bit of decent paper and pack them in boxes with these as support and cushioning,you can also buy small packets of silicon which stop damp ,you usually get these in electrical products.
Failing that ---- as i also live in the UK you can let me have your books and i will look after them untill you come back here ---- he he he .