UNDER THE DOME S/N SHIPPED

Any questions related to limited editions
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: UNDER THE DOME S/N SHIPPED

Post by TheCollector »

guggenhe wrote:So here's my question.

My book came yesterday, and has bumped corners (by the spine) and a scratch on the front cover. The scratch is surface - like a 1 inch mark made by a fingernail. It's right in the dome above the "belly band", so it's on the shiny part of the cover, and thus pretty obvious.

Am I wrong in thinking that for $200, straight from the publisher, I should expect better quality than this? I wrote a comment to S&S - we'll see if they get back to me.
That sucks. Let us know what you hear back. I'm interested to hear what kind of customer service S&S will provide.
MikeDuke

Post by MikeDuke »

Took mine out of the plastic. I will admit I am just a bit disappointed. These seem to be standard first ed that were just singed. I was expecting something different like The Stand or Insomnia. But it wasn't. They are not even numbered. There was a number on the bottom. Mine may have been thrown away but I think it was like 1107 or something close to that. To me this is not a very good way to do it. It will make fakes very easy to replicate in my opinion. Oh well, if I get lucky enough to get another ltd ed of one of his books hopefully it will be different. I am still glad I got it, I just wish it was packaged a bit better.
emp1cjp

Post by emp1cjp »

Mine came last night and I was one of the second chance buyers. I must say, as limited editions go, its very disappointing. A "stamped case" certainly means a slipcase, and a limitation page should have been a no brainer.
I'm in for a slipcase, I'm afraid to put it on the shelf without one just because of the possibility of damage.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

The Collector's editions (both signed and unsigned) are very different from the standard trade edition. The only real difference between the unsigned and signed Collector's editions is the price on the dust jacket ($75 for the unsigned, $200 for the signed) and the tipped-in signature page. I have to agree, though, that overall it's a bit of a disappointment.

On the Stephen King Message Board, Ms Mod forwarded a response from Simon & Schuster that the "stamped case" meant the front board was stamped--in this instance, with a dog. A lame excuse, in my opinion.

To forestall damage to the book until Tomas gets his slip/traycases, I've put my copies in archival plastic bags.

The number on the bottom of the shrinkwrap was 1109. 1109=November 9, probably. All the editions had the same number.

John
MikeDuke

Post by MikeDuke »

Thanks for the info John. Again, I am not that upset. I guess I was looking for something that was way different. Different cover or something. But at least I got one :D . This is my first singed book that is not a DT book.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Considering how easy it could be to fake the gift edition as a S/L with a fake sig, I would highly recommend everyone tuck their reciept from S&S in with the book. That way if you guys decide to sell at some point in the future you'll have documentation that you bought the S/L.

Sure I know the DJ pricing is different, but I'm sure some enterprising individual will find a way around that or someone who doesn't know how to tell the books apart will fall for it. The receipt will be hard proof of purchase.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Good idea!

John
Marco

Post by Marco »

jhanic wrote:The Collector's editions (both signed and unsigned) are very different from the standard trade edition. The only real difference between the unsigned and signed Collector's editions is the price on the dust jacket ($75 for the unsigned, $200 for the signed) and the tipped-in signature page. I have to agree, though, that overall it's a bit of a disappointment.
John
I haven't received my copies of the signed limited and gift edition yet (I live in The Netherlands) so I can't verify this myself, but if the signature is indeed on a tipped-in page then the signed limited should have one extra page, right? That would be another point which can be used to verify a signed limited from a fake one. Perhaps one of you fellow collectors can check and post here?
servo666

Post by servo666 »

The signed collector's edition also has a different ISBN than the standard collector's edition. So even if signed, you could still differentiate by the ISBN.
MikeDuke

Post by MikeDuke »

TheCollector wrote:Considering how easy it could be to fake the gift edition as a S/L with a fake sig, I would highly recommend everyone tuck their reciept from S&S in with the book. That way if you guys decide to sell at some point in the future you'll have documentation that you bought the S/L.
That is a good idea. I still have mine so I will put it with the book. I have done that with other books but I just did not think to do that.