The Gunslinger in all it's incarnations?

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
ChristineB

The Gunslinger in all it's incarnations?

Post by ChristineB »

OK, I do believe at this point someone decided to confuse the living daylights out of SK collectors with all the versions of The Gunslinger.

I understand the original 2, first edition first print in 82, frist edition 2nd print in 84.

Now is where it gets fun, second edition first print in 98, so this one has new material in it?

The Gunslinger and Little sisters of eluria, is this just a special edition and which edition of the gunslinger is in this, same as the 82 version or the 98 version, or is it something new again?

I have come across something call the Illustrated edition of the gunslinger, what is this?

Please help since my husband loves my long hair and I may end up pulling it all out whilst trying to figure this out. :?
e_taylor

Re: The Gunslinger in all it's incarnations?

Post by e_taylor »

The '98 version is a third edition. Same content as the 1st and 2nd.

LSoE is the novella and the revised version of the Gunslinger (different from the first three editions).

The "illustrated" edition is probably one of the plume trade paperbacks.
ChristineB

Post by ChristineB »

Thanks, for the clarification.

Now is the 2003 version another revised edition also, does it have more stuff in it then the 98 version?

See what I mean? hehe
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

ChristineB wrote:Thanks, for the clarification.

Now is the 2003 version another revised edition also, does it have more stuff in it then the 98 version?

See what I mean? hehe

Hi Christine,

I think so answer your question there are two seperate texts...one is the original text, this covers the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition's from Grant Books as well as any copy you find that was published before 2003.

In 2003, King released the revised edition.... if you check out the related wikipedia article here's what it says
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gunsli ... ed_edition
King revised The Gunslinger in 2003. In his introduction to the new edition, King stated that he felt that the original version was 'dry' and difficult for new readers to access. He also made changes to make the storytelling more linear as well as making the plot of the book more consistent with the series' ending. The added material was over 9000 words (35 pages) in length.[3]

Changes were made in order to resolve continuity errors introduced by later volumes. For example, a scene with Roland reading a magazine in Tull is removed as later information presented in The Drawing of the Three suggested that paper was a scarcity in Roland's world. The town of Farson is changed to Taunton, as John Farson was a character in the later books in the series. References to the Beast were changed to refer to the Crimson King.

"Blue Heaven" and "Algul Siento", terms that are revealed in the final books are mentioned, as is the strange Taheen.

One of the biggest changes is the fate and identity of the Man in Black. In the original version, Walter dies at the end of the story. In the revised edition, King implies that he survived and reveals that Walter is yet another identity of Randall Flagg.

In the expanded edition of the novel, on the last page before the text the single word RESUMPTION appears; King explains that it is the subtitle of the novel.
ChristineB

Post by ChristineB »

Thanks so much. That clears it up. Gotta remember the wiki for his works too.
amd013

Post by amd013 »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I am looking to buy a 1st/1st copy of the 2003 revised Gunslinger. I already own a copy, but it is a 5th printing, and want to upgrade to a 1st printing.

However looking on ebay, and other sites, I am seeing different covers for the hardbacks. attached is a picture of the different covers.

What is the difference between these two? The copy I have is like the second picture.

Thanks,
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amd013

Post by amd013 »

ok, just to be clear, I have the one on top, it displayed in the opposite order I expected.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

The one you have, the top photo, is the "original" first printing of the Revised Gunslinger. The bottom one must be a reprint of some sort. I haven't seen it before, but that doesn't mean much.

John
dkbritt85

Post by dkbritt85 »

Do we know the value of a First Edition/Fourth Printing of the Revised and Expanded 2003 edition?

I believe it's a First/Fourth; The number sequence is 5 7 9 10 8 6 4

Do we know the value of a first edition, first printing of the Plume paperback (illustrated). It does have The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger full title.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Viking Gunslinger 1st/1st is 50 USD at Betts, so less than that.
Plume paperback only 10 USD.