NIGHT SHIFT 1st US value

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
ur2ndbiggestfan

NIGHT SHIFT 1st US value

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I was browsing the 1st Editions listings here and saw that the 1st edition of NIGHT SHIFT is valued at $350 - $450. It was my understanding that many of these were remaindered, and non-remaindered books were worth much more. Does this price reflect the remaindered copies as well as copies that were not remaindered?
biomieg

Re: NIGHT SHIFT 1st US value

Post by biomieg »

Slightly off-topic, but what is 'remaindering'? I know what 'remain' means of course but I'm not sure what is meant by 'remaindered' (probably an idiomatic issue, as I'm not a native English speaker ;))
ur2ndbiggestfan

If a book is not selling, the publisher sometimes "remainders" it by putting a mark on it (in NIGHT SHIFT'S case they sprayed purple paint specks on the bottom of the pages). These books are then reduced in price, are not returnable, and clear out the publisher's warehouse.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I think that's a low value on the first edition first printing of this book. I would add about $100-200 to it if in fine condition. With a reported first printing of about 12,000 books, I seriously doubt there were too many that had been remaindered. Given such a low number also, I don't think the presence of a remainder mark would make too much difference in the value of the book. Of prime importance, of course, would be the overall condition of the book and dust jacket. If the dust jacket had been price-clipped, for example, the value would be way down. (How do you tell one that had been legitimately price-clipped versus a book club edition that had been clipped?) There are a lot of book club editions out there. These are virtually worthless. (They are still available at the BOMC for $9.99!) You can also occasionally find an ex-library first edition too. These, depending on condition, go for substantially less.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

John's right, that value hasn't been updated for a while. The new site will reflect a higher price on that.
MikeDuke

Post by MikeDuke »

Also, weren't almost half of them sent to libraries? Having the flap in the back or glue stain would give evidence for that. Wouldn't that also lower the value?
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Yes, almost any ex-library volume will show defects that affect the value.

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

Just for the heck of it, here's two pictures of a 1st NIGHT SHIFT, not remaindered, that is in such great shape I'm almost afraid to touch it. Sorry about the glare.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Very, very nice!

John
needfulthings

Post by needfulthings »

ANY ALTERING of the book or dust jacket will DECREASE the value of the book except for the author's signature and this also depends if it is flat signed or inscribed.