3 DIFFERENT 1st EDITIONS OF EYES OF THE DRAGON

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
needfulthings

3 DIFFERENT 1st EDITIONS OF EYES OF THE DRAGON

Post by needfulthings »

BECAUSE OF THE LARGE PRINT RUN OF THIS BOOK VIKING FARMED IT OUT TO 3 PRINTERS AND THEY ARE LISTED ON THE COPYRIGHT PAGE.PRINTED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA BY 1. HADDON CRAFTSMEN SCRANTON,PENNSYLVANIA 2. ARCATA GRAPHICS FAIRFIELD,PENNSYLVANIA 3. ARCATA GRAPHICS HAWKINS COUNTY, TENNESSEE.
jhanic

Re: 3 DIFFERENT 1st EDITIONS OF EYES OF THE DRAGON

Post by jhanic »

Vrey interesting. I'll have to dig my copy out to see just what the copyright page says on mine. The printrun wasn't really that big--400,000 copies of the first printing--so I'm a bit surprised that Viking shipped it out to three different printers, though.

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

This is the Dragon Proof. It states 1 - million copy first printing. Whether this is true or not I do not know. There is also a letter enclosed with the proof.
Also, here is a picture of all 3 states of the first edition, the Book Club edition, the first British edition and the Large Print edition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Yeah, I've got that proof and the letter too. The publishers often exaggerate in these. The printrun was 400,000 copies. I'm sure of that.

John
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Here is the UK proof that is mising from the photos above:

jhanic

Post by jhanic »

ur2ndbiggestfan, I noticed in your second picture that you also must have a set of the pictures that came with some of the US proofs. I also have a set, but I've seen sets with different pictures than the ones I got. You can see mine at:

http://thedarktower.com/palaver/showthread.php?t=6011

post #27. Are yours the same?

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

Yes, my pictures are the same as yours. You have a few Stephen King items, I see. Is there anything you DON'T have? Somehow, I doubt it! Great collection!
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

Thanks. There are a number of proofs (and other items, too) that I don't have. I'm always looking, though.

The first post in this thread lists all the US and UK proofs of King's books that I know of:

http://thedarktower.com/palaver/showthread.php?t=443

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

I know I'm getting off the subject here, but that's why I stopped trying to collect everything by King. As much as I want everything, it became impossible financially to afford all the limited editions, etc., and it became very frustrating trying to locate these items in time to purchase them. I stopped when the limited edition of the revised The Stand came out. I tried everything I could think of to get one but I just did not succeed.
I remember "the good old days" when I bought my signed first edition of Carrie for $45, and thought that was too high of a price, as well as the first British editions of King's first four books for 35 bucks a pop and scolded myself for wasting my money!
I do have a couple of very scarce King items, and I am going to have to be happy with them, as I will probably never have all of his books that I want.
needfulthings

Post by needfulthings »

AFTER EDITION PHANTASIA PRINTED THE MIST THEIR NEXT KING PROJECT WAS GOING TO BE DIE AUGEN DES DRACHEN (EYES OF THE DRAGON) BUT BECAUSE MR KING HAD THE U.S. SHIPMENT STOPED AND DISTROYED, I'M SURE THAT'S WHY THEY DID NOT PROSEED WITH THE PROJECT BUT THEY HAD COMMISSIONED RENOUNED AUSTRIAN ARTIST JOHANN PETERKA TO DRAW 13 ILLISTRATIONS FOR THE BOOK. NOT WANTING TO HAVE ANOTHER BOOK DESTR0YED THEY DID NOT PUBLISH THE BOOK BUT DID PUBLISH 100 S/N PORTFOLIO OF THE 13 ILLISTRATIONS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.