Rest In Peace, Donald M. Grant

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
jhanic

Rest In Peace, Donald M. Grant

Post by jhanic »

Donald M. Grant, founder of Donald M. Grant Publishing, passed away August 19 after a long illness. He will be missed.

John
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Rest In Peace, Donald M. Grant

Post by TheCollector »

I just read that today, I'm very sad to hear it and add my condolences go out to his family and friends. Our friends up at dt.com have a thread as well and link to this tribute article which includes a picture of Grant.

Thank you Mr. Grant for all you have done for the Stephen King collecting community.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Rest In Peace, Donald M. Grant

Post by TheCollector »

The latest newsletter from DMG regarding Donald's passing.
Welcome to issue #65 of the Donald M. Grant Newsletter

1 September 2009

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DONALD M. GRANT
April 3, 1927 - Aug. 19, 2009
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donald Metcalf Grant died August 19, 2009 in North Port, Florida. He was 82 years old.

Don founded DONALD M. GRANT, PUBLISHER in 1964. For many years he operated it from his home in West Kingston, Rhode Island. I became his partner in 1981.

In 1945, when Don was 18, he published his first book: RHODE ISLAND ON LOVECRAFT, edited by Donald M. Grant and Thomas G. Hadley and published under the Grant-Hadley Enterprises imprint. Over the years other publishing companies he was part of included The Buffalo Book Company, The Hadley Publishing Company, Grandon and Centaur Press. In
1964 he went out on his own and the rest is history.

Donald Grant was instrumental in the creation of THE WORLD FANTASY CONVENTION in 1975. He received three World Fantasy Awards in the special professional category (1976, 1980, and 1983), one special convention World Fantasy Award (1984), and a World Fantasy Life Achievement Award (2003). He pub- lished one Hugo Award winning book: TIME AND CHANCE by L. Sprague de Camp.

In the mid-1990’s Don moved to North Port, Florida. He is survived by his wife Shirley, daughter Nancy Mahoney, granddaughter Ellen Mahoney, son Douglas and sister Meg Moreau.

Robert K. Wiener, President
Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc.