Under the Dome Book Signing

Heard about a new SK project? Maybe there's a new book signing you know of - Post it here!
skinglover

Re: Under the Dome Book Signing

Post by skinglover »

Hi, thanks for allowing me to join!

What is the protocol on the signings? You said there will be wristbands for the event. How will those be made available? Usually how early do the lines start? I have all of Stephen King's books and have never gotten a signed one. I definitely want to get one this time. I will be coming from Louisville, KY.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

A very good question. I've been to a small handful of book singing events and only 1 SK event...King just doesn't head to Seattle often :) I sure wouldn't call myself an pro at it but I know the lay of the land (so to speak). Hopefully some other signing veterans will put in there two cents.

Each signing you go to will probably be slightly different, remember the event coordinators rules are law for the event.. follow the rules and you should be fine. Don't pay attention to them and you might not get your signed copy.... with that in mind:

#1) Check with the people holding the event - Multiple times. I'd say check the website (or call if a website is not provided) the event holder once a week or so for any updates on the event. When you get down to the last 3-4 days check once per day. There can often be some change in procedure from the original annoucment to the signing.

#2) Be early and ready to wait - Again you'll want to see how early the event folks recommend, but here's the thing...(Especially if it's your first signing and/or you're very exited about meeting the author). Chances are you'll be very exited and a bit nervous. Do yourself a favor and don't add to the nervousness by being the last guy in line and hoping your author sticks around long enough to sign your book...or that they run out of books before you get to the front of the line.

#3) Make friends with the people around you - You're going to be standing next to these folks for some ammount of time, maybe under an hour maybe quite a few hours. Make it as fun as possible. The longest wait I've had was for a Bill Clinton signing. My wife and I took shifts, total wait time was around 8 hours

#4) You might start hearing rumors related to the signing (The author won't be here untill X time, he's only singning X books, you need to go to X place, they won't let you in if you have a camera, etc). My best advice here is to just stay calm and don't get ansy about what you hear in line. I have yet to fail in getting a book signed if I followed steps 1 & 2, no matter what people were saying in line.

#5) Should/Can you bring a 2nd book to be signed? - Well first of all refer back to rule #1, ask the event staff. If it's a yes then this is a no brainer. If it's a NO then it's realy up to you if you want lug one around just in case. I can't say I've ever been in a situation where I was told No but got to an event where I was actually able to get a 2nd copy signed. But then again I don't go to many singings, other people's experiences may differ.

#6) Should I bring a camera? - Many venus won't allow them anyway, so back to rule #1 Personally I would say that IF you do make it one that you can carry in your pocket, or use your cell camera. For famous authors you're going to get all of 10-30 seconds with your author, Lugging that huge Canon DSLR around your neck with a couple lenses and flash kit is going to get very annoying, especially when the bouncer at the front of the line gets a look at you and says "no pics"

#7) HAVE FUN - This may be the only time you get to meet said author. Enjoy the whole experience, even the waiting in line. It will be memorable :!:
skinglover

Post by skinglover »

Thanks so much for the info!

Susan
Mr. Ink

Post by Mr. Ink »

I see they have not yet decided on a DC/Baltimore signing. Where can I go to be notified as soon as this has been decided?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

The most up-to-date signing info is going to be on the official stephenking.com forums.
http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showt ... 28&page=34

Unfortunatly I don't know of a place that would send you an e-mail alert with updates.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

From www.liljas-library.com

Stephen King will appear in Minneapolis as part of his Under the Dome book tour on Wednesday, November 18, 2009.

Tickets will go on sale on Tuesday, August 25. Here is information on how to get tickets:

Tickets for all Fitzgerald Theater events are available to the general public in person at The Fitzgerald Theater box office.

Fitzgerald Theater Box Office
10 East Exchange Street
Saint Paul, MN 55101

Box office hours:
Tuesday - Friday: Noon - 5 pm

Minnesota Public Radio members may also purchase tickets for selected events by calling during our regular business hours.

Phone: (651) 290-1221
Fax: (651) 290-1195
e-mail: fitzgerald@mpr.org

Tickets are also available through Ticketmaster
by phone at 1-800-982-2787
or in person at any Ticketmaster outlet.
Tickets will be able to be purchased at ticketmaster.com or by calling the Fitzgerald Theater box office.

Tickets are $20.00.
Minnesota Public Radio members, Star Tribune subscribers and Loft Literary Center members can buy tickets for $18.00.
ChristineB

Post by ChristineB »

Woo Hoo, Woo Hoo, Woo Hoo, Woo Hoo...

I am so happy, I will be going to the Atlanta book signing and getting a signed copy of UTD form the man himself.

*does the Snoopy happy dance on her desk* for the umpteengozillianth time this morning. :D

I am so happy I will have a signing SK book for my collection, now to make that sealed see through box to put it in. :)

I have to admit, I most likely won't be reading this copy. hehe

I am going from Nashville, TN and if anyone in this area is also going I would be happy to have company on the trip. PM me if you are interested.
skinglover

Post by skinglover »

Woo Hoo, Me too!!!!

We're driving down from Louisville, KY. Hope to see everyone there!!! :lol:
needful_things4me

Post by needful_things4me »

So... after purchasing air and hotel, I've just received information that the 250 signed books will be distributed by lottery at the New York Under the Dome event at the TimesCenter Stage. I've never seen Mr. King in person so I am looking forward to the interview, but after all the expense of this trip... if I'm not able to purchase a signed book, I will not be a happy person. When I purchased my tickets for this event, I swear it stated that each individual ticket holder would be able to purchase a single signed copy. But I suppose now that the event is being filmed and simulcast the "intimate" gathering of 250 has expanded in numbers, and of course, only the original number of signed books will be made available.

Wish me luck, Andrea
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

needful_things4me wrote:So... after purchasing air and hotel, I've just received information that the 250 signed books will be distributed by lottery at the New York Under the Dome event at the TimesCenter Stage. I've never seen Mr. King in person so I am looking forward to the interview, but after all the expense of this trip... if I'm not able to purchase a signed book, I will not be a happy person. When I purchased my tickets for this event, I swear it stated that each individual ticket holder would be able to purchase a single signed copy. But I suppose now that the event is being filmed and simulcast the "intimate" gathering of 250 has expanded in numbers, and of course, only the original number of signed books will be made available.

Wish me luck, Andrea
Grrr..... Good luck Andrea, let us know how it goes.