Book Collecting: In Need of a Revolution

Are you looking for a specific number or book? Maybe you have a book someone is looking for... post it here! If you'd like to advertize your own ebay listings here as well that would be fine, just don't spam the boards.
Forum rules
- Only members can see and post to this Forum

- I am providing a forum for communication I but do not endorse, nor can I be responsible for anything bought or sold via this forum.

- If abuse is reported I will take whatever action I see fit, including banning of the user account.
thegunslinger41

Book Collecting: In Need of a Revolution

Post by thegunslinger41 »

Howdy fellas!

Have been thinking of this for quite some time.... I remember collecting baseball cards, comic books, some coins.... much later unfortunately, Stephen King books. Sigh, oh well. Anyhoo,... Some trends that I have noticed when it comes to collecting things as previously mentioned is that people pay high premiums for items in Mint condition...sealed/unsealed...still in box...never opened and whatnot. Scarcity being the biggest thing that drives up these premiums. I recall selling a Steve McNair SP Rookie card..raw book value of $8 for $700 because it was the only one in the population reports that existed with a perfect grade. Look up comic prices now and see how sick they are selling for OMG!! I've always wondered if book collecting would soon catch up and become revolutionized as has sports trading cards, comics, coins (PSA, BGS, SGC, AFA, CGC).

We need to have our own book authenticating and grading service somehow. Lets see what sickening prices some PERFECT copies of our old favorites THE STAND (with it's notorious quality issues)...hell, we all know doubleday books in the 70s and 80s had serious flaws.

Yawwwnnn...feel like i'm just rambling. Anyhow...i've got so much more to add but i'm hungry..and feeling unmotivated. Your thoughts please.....
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Book Collecting: In Need of a Revolution

Post by TheCollector »

Well there are established guidelines for used book grading already in place.
http://www.ioba.org/pages/resources/con ... finitions/
ELazansky

Post by ELazansky »

I can't imagine a book authentication service - imagine sealing a book in a thick lucite box with the grade FINE on the outside. Might make it valuable, but then you can't look at the book, which is part of the enjoyment of collecting.
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

My THE STAND is perfect. Asking one million bucks. That's a lot of doe!