Wanted - The Shining, 1977, 1st Edition, with DC

Are you looking for a specific number or book? Maybe you have a book someone is looking for... post it here! If you'd like to advertize your own ebay listings here as well that would be fine, just don't spam the boards.
Forum rules
- Only members can see and post to this Forum

- I am providing a forum for communication I but do not endorse, nor can I be responsible for anything bought or sold via this forum.

- If abuse is reported I will take whatever action I see fit, including banning of the user account.
pookster

Wanted - The Shining, 1977, 1st Edition, with DC

Post by pookster »

Hello,
My daughter's favorite book is Stephen King's, The Shining. I would like to surprise her (someday, I'm saving $$$) with a collectable 1st Edition.
What price range should I expect for a copy in very good to excellent condition with a DC?
I'm a newbie and don't know much about collecting books.
I would greatly appreciate any advice/feedback.
Thank you!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Re: Wanted - The Shining, 1977, 1st Edition, with DC

Post by TheCollector »

Hello and welcome to the forums! A 1st/1st copy in near fine condition would typically be in the $300-$400 range. Really pristine copies will be more.

However, you might want to look into getting her a copy of the upcoming anniversary edition of The Shining from Cemetery Dance. It's officially sold out from the publisher (in pretty record time for an unsigned edition) but you can still pre-order a copy at basically publishers price from PS Publishing in the UK, they seem to have recieved a small allocation of copies and still show them available for order.
ORDER PAGE HERE

Now there's a separate thread up about this edition in the limited edition section of the forums; but it includes not only the 40 page prologue "before the play" but an earlier draft of the manuscript, when it was still called THE SHINE, which had been sent around to Hollywood production studios to sell the movie rights before the book was published. This manuscript includes hundreds of sentences, paragraphs, and even scenes not included in the final book we all know and love. Of particular interest is a four page section toward the end known as “After the Play,” which even Stephen King believed had been lost forever because he didn’t have a copy in his archives!

Best of all the book is around $100 and includes some amazing artwork from Don Maitz, who is one of our favorite illustrators around here.

Just a thought.
pookster

Post by pookster »

Wonderful suggestions, thank you!
I'll look into all options you mentioned, but I don't know what you mean by "thread up". What's that?
pookster

Post by pookster »

I just ordered the special edition from the UK through the link you provided. Fantastic! My daughter will be thrilled!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

pookster wrote:Wonderful suggestions, thank you!
I'll look into all options you mentioned, but I don't know what you mean by "thread up". What's that?
I mean there's a separate posting about it in the forums, each topic/series of posts is called a thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1737

I think your daughter will be thrilled. I've shied away from buying some of the anniversary editions coming out over the last year but I bought this one myself, and with the extra materials will actually read it, which is not something I do with my collectibles very often. (I have separate reading copies for that)
pookster

Post by pookster »

Got it, thanks.
The special edition I ordered is the tray cased numbered edition signed by the artist. The slip cased gift edition was sold out.
Thanks again for your help!