Got my Tesla model 3 reservation yesterday

Want to talk about things other then SK? Post anything else right here.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Got my Tesla model 3 reservation yesterday

Post by TheCollector »

Hey guys, hit up the local Tesla store yesterday and got my Model 3 reservation in, pretty stoked! Anyone else put down for one of these?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... /82503100/
TrueNorth

Re: Got my Tesla model 3 reservation yesterday

Post by TrueNorth »

Congratulations Tomas!
There were over night lineups at the Toronto dealership with people who wanted to put a deposit on one. Tesla sold 276,000 of the model 3 in one day. They make a beautiful car. They also lose money on everyone they sell, maybe with the larger volume they can get profitable. How long until delivery?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

TrueNorth wrote:Congratulations Tomas!
There were over night lineups at the Toronto dealership with people who wanted to put a deposit on one. Tesla sold 276,000 of the model 3 in one day. They make a beautiful car. They also lose money on everyone they sell, maybe with the larger volume they can get profitable. How long until delivery?
Best guess is sometime in 2018, there are quite a few variables with Tesla so we'll see. I've got my fingers crossed that I can squeeze in the $7,500 federal tax credit, while keeping it cheap enough to get the Washington State sales tax rebate (currently caps at $3,500 for EV vehicles)
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

I know this thread is very old but how has the vehicle been long term?
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Well, I can't exactly say :) it took so long for the SR+ version to come out (that's the one with the short range battery...aka 240 mile range vs 340 mile range) that I just got the thing a little over two months ago!

So far the car has been great, but there have been a number of minor issues that have cropped up:
- Squeaky steering column
- trim that needed to get reseated
- a couple rattles
- An out of band firmware reset that was needed to fix an computer issue
- Just today I noticed some small seperation of plastic from the bottom of the car, I'll have to call it in.

Now that IS a lot of stuff for a car thats less than three months old, but none of it has affected the ability to drive the car, and Tesla does at home service for all but the most intense issues. So far all of these have fallen into the "Schedule an appointment at your home" sort of fixes. That's incredibly convenient, if I would have had to drive to the dealership for this stuff it would be a whole lot more annoying.

0-60 in 5 seconds and people all over staring at the car and coming up to comment about it or ask questions is really cool.
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

At home repair? That is exceptionally cool.

I have to confess I know almost zilch about these vehicles. They aren't in my area and I'm fairly certain there is no infrastructure for them.

Glad to hear it's been treating you well so far. I think I am more curious how they will perform over longer periods of time and what upkeep costs may be compared to a traditional vehicle.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

I am curious about the long term reliability as well - that will influence my decision on whether I will keep it past the 4 year bumper to bumper warranty.

Maintenance though should be minimal for a car of this class. There is no oil to change, no rando coolant, or typical other fluids to replace regularly, and with regenerative braking there's much less wear on the brake pads than a traditional car. In fact there's quite a minimal maintenance schedule recommended by Telsa. From what I can tell here's what will need replacement over the life of the car:

- Windshield wipers and fluid top off
- Cabin Air Filter
- Tires (and regular rotation of existing tires)
- Brake fluid test is recommended every 2 years, replace as necessary

Where do you live Ben? Tesla is shipping the model 3 to all states and some international countries. They also don't have a traditional "dealership" model, you HAVE to buy from their website. Instead they have galleries where you can do some no pressure test drives and see the cars in person.....And the test drives, those are in their top of the line performance series cars. Go hit the free way in a 3 second 0-60 version of the car, it will blow you away! (They can software limit the car to replicate the performance of their regular 0-60 in 5 second type cars if you want to replicate that too)
Ben Staad

Post by Ben Staad »

TheCollector wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:05 am
Where do you live Ben?
Panhandle of Florida. I just did a quick look on their site and there appears to be one service center partner in the area and just a few supercharging spots. Apparently not a hot-spot for electric vehicles.

It is very interesting. I am curious to see how this technology progresses.
amd013

Post by amd013 »

I have owned a Chevy Volt for just over 3 years. Earlier this month I had the first out of pocket expense for maintence. I had an oil change and tire rotation that cost $30.

The volt does use oil, but at a much slower rate. For the volt it is recommended to change every 20K miles or once every 2 years. This was my 2nd oil change (I did it since I needed tires rotated anyway, and the computer showed only 23% live remaining).

For a Tesla, I wouldn't worry about the lack of infrastructure locally, since you should be able to charge at home (unless maybe you live in an apartment building). You don't really need the superchargers for day to day use, probably only for vacations, in which case you probably won't be in your area anyway.

My volt is advertised as a range of 53 miles per charge, with a 9 Gallon back up gas tank. On a typical day I am able to do my daily commute with using no gas. Out of 31.4K miles 30.4K miles have been electric. If it had the range of a Tesla, it would be 0.

Although it is advertised as 53 miles per charge, I generally get 58-61 (assuming the miles left is accurate). My lifetime average of MPGe is 112.

Does the tesla have a "1 pedal" driving mode (not sure that is the correct term). i.e. with the volt you can put it in a mode where taking your foot off of the accelerator starts regenerative breaking. you therefore can drive a long way before you actually need to use the brake pedal.

I generally don't need to charge away from home. My office has 4 chargers (5 actually, but 1 is handicapped and is never used). They only charge $0.08 per KWh, which is actually slightly less the I pay at home. But of course this is an exception, must public chargers are significantly more pricey.
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

amd013 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:59 am I have owned a Chevy Volt for just over 3 years. Earlier this month I had the first out of pocket expense for maintence. I had an oil change and tire rotation that cost $30.

The volt does use oil, but at a much slower rate. For the volt it is recommended to change every 20K miles or once every 2 years. This was my 2nd oil change (I did it since I needed tires rotated anyway, and the computer showed only 23% live remaining).

For a Tesla, I wouldn't worry about the lack of infrastructure locally, since you should be able to charge at home (unless maybe you live in an apartment building). You don't really need the superchargers for day to day use, probably only for vacations, in which case you probably won't be in your area anyway.

My volt is advertised as a range of 53 miles per charge, with a 9 Gallon back up gas tank. On a typical day I am able to do my daily commute with using no gas. Out of 31.4K miles 30.4K miles have been electric. If it had the range of a Tesla, it would be 0.

Although it is advertised as 53 miles per charge, I generally get 58-61 (assuming the miles left is accurate). My lifetime average of MPGe is 112.

Does the tesla have a "1 pedal" driving mode (not sure that is the correct term). i.e. with the volt you can put it in a mode where taking your foot off of the accelerator starts regenerative breaking. you therefore can drive a long way before you actually need to use the brake pedal.

I generally don't need to charge away from home. My office has 4 chargers (5 actually, but 1 is handicapped and is never used). They only charge $0.08 per KWh, which is actually slightly less the I pay at home. But of course this is an exception, must public chargers are significantly more pricey.
Glad you're liking your volt, I hear it's a good car, especially at the price

Yep there is a "1 pedal" driving mode that you can turn on where there is heavier regenerative braking. Took a few days to get used to it but I like that a lot now & that gives you better range. I also charge at home, basically 100% of the time. I recently put up solar so technically I'm charging for free :) Of course getting the solar installed wasn't free, but it's nice to know I'm essentially carbon neutral for my driving and electric use in general.

I may be heading to Portland next month and if so I'll use a supercharger for the first time along the way. Tesla's supercharger network is extremely fleshed out, you can see a map of it here (scroll down about half way) and if you're going on a long road trip & plug in your address into Tesla's navigation it will automatically route you to the appropriate superchargers on your route if you're going beyond your range. https://www.tesla.com/supercharger There are two spaced out between Seattle and Portland now, with another 3 scheduled to come online within the next year.