Low Numbers - do they really add value?

Want to talk about things other then SK? Post anything else right here.
igotdblues

Low Numbers - do they really add value?

Post by igotdblues »

Hi,

I am fairly new to book collecting, and there is something I am curious about - Why do low numbered limited editions seem to fetch higher prices? What typically is considered a low number?

Let's say you have #4 of 750 and number 400 of 750 of the signed limited edition of from a Buick 8 (not that I have either, but just for arguments sake) how much of a premium would the #4 have?

Thanks,

Chris
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Low Numbers - do they really add value?

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

For me, not a cent. Only number 1 or letter A would make me pay a premium.
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

I'm sure most collectors will feel the same way. There are those, however, to whom low numbers DO mean something. (I'm not one of them either.) I'm sure they are willing to pay a slight premium for those.

As to what a "low number" is depends on the individual collector. I have #5 of 450 of "Life in the Cinema" with King's Introduction. To me, that's a low number, but I put no special value on it.

John
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I agree. Low numbers or letters are nice, in their own way, but mean nothing to me as to the book's actual value. The only comparison to value I can think of are the three different dates King used on the signed FIRESTARTER. For some strange reason, the ones he signed on the first day are considered more valuable then the others. I wish he had signed them all on the same day, but his hand probably got tired.
dainierljeji

Post by dainierljeji »

Thank you for your sharing!

----------------------------------------------
rc hobby|Rc Airplanes For Sale
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

Of course you could ask the same question to owners 801+ of Little Sisters of Eluria.....

It's actually somewhat interesting from a matching persepective. Grant typically and Cemetery Dance to some extent will give preference or attempt to match numbers of the last book they produced.

So as we've seen this year, if a previous title print run is larger than the current title the folks with high numbers will be left out. That would certainly be a good reason to try for a lower number.
Jhenry

Post by Jhenry »

Let's say you have #4 of 750 and number 400 of 750 of the signed limited edition of from a Buick 8 (not that I have either, but just for arguments sake) how much of a premium would the #4 have?
jimimck

Post by jimimck »

Jhenry wrote:Let's say you have #4 of 750 and number 400 of 750 of the signed limited edition of from a Buick 8 (not that I have either, but just for arguments sake) how much of a premium would the #4 have?
To me, no premium at all. I'd pay the same price for either number.
TrueNorth

Post by TrueNorth »

I can't help but liking low numbers.
If a SL Stand came up for sale what would I prefer #10 or #1112. Give me #10. Is it worth more? I want it more so maybe it is to me. Shouldn't be....but in my twisted thinking it is.

The DT Series is the exception to the low number values. Anything under 500 has a premium. With only 500 Volume 1s, anything higher makes it impossible to complete the set.

I would rather have a PC DT series then a mix matched number set.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

IMO a S/L Stand numbered 666 is worth a lot more than one numbered 10.